.019 vs .010 pins

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swise660, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the market for a new sight and was going to have one custom built with two .019 and two .010 pins. I got to thinking today while I was shooting, a smaller pin has to be less bright? Am I correct in my thinking?

If they are less bright, would it be enough to sway you away from a smaller pin?

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope... I have .010 pins on my sight and they are fine.
    Near dusk or if in the blind, I just turn on the sight light (lowest setting possible for the situation).

3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like .019 pins for 40 yards and closer. Unless you practice in low light you shouldn't have to worry about brightness. Assuming you don't plan on shooting animals past 30 yards especially in a low light situation. You can always get a light too.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My .010 pin on my HHA is visible past shooting light and too bright during the day. I use the mechanical rheostat a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my hha optimizer lite. With .10 it's is bright

6. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I should also add, HHA uses 5 ft of fiber wrap for .010 and 3 feet for the .019. So the total surface area of fiber to gather light is probably about the same. That may account for the brightness of the HHA .010 pin. Not sure if other companies do that so keep that in mind.

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, great information!

I don't plan on shooting deer past 30 yards but in all honesty, the 2 smaller pin sizes are more or less for targets. I have found when shooting a 5 spot target at 30 yards or more, I just feel like my .019 pins cover a lot of the target so I wanted the two .010 more or less for practice/targets than hunting.

8. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are thinking right. .010 at your longer distances will help for sure.
    I don't think you will have any problems at all.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on the sight. Sounds crazy, .010 is .010 right? But I owned both a CBE and Sword sight with 0.10 pins and the CBE is so tiny it is really hard to see at times, but the sword 0.10 was fine. I still have the CBE sight (single pin target sight).

I use 0.019 on my hunting bow and 0.010 on my target bow. I like the bigger pin for hunting because it seems to collect a little more light.

10. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm, the sight I am planning to buy is a CBE. I handled one in the box but that certainly doesn't let you see how those smaller pins look when it's actually being used.

I shoot quite a bit but I shoot because I keep trying to get better only for my passion of deer hunting. I don't do any competition shoots. We've done a few 3D shoots, but it's strictly for fun...so my gear is mainly purchased and looked at for hunting but I do want something I can shoot with outside of my hunting distances.

Now I am unsure if with a CBE if those .010 pins would be ok if they look that small.

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This the CBE with 0.010":

[​IMG]

12. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My sight has 4 .019, and 3 .010. My next one will be all .010 because. 50 yard is my farthers .019 pin. and because the pin is so big, i took the take at 50, as i do at 70 with the .010

13. MNBowBender

MNBowBender Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just put a cbe sniper pro on this year with the top two at .019 and the bottom 3 at .010, I ended up taking out the yellow center pin at .010 because I could hardly see while standing in the shade on a sunny day. The green and red are fine but that yellow is so hard to contrast. Great sight otherwise.

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you translate this please...LOL. :)

15. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great to hear. I had planned on doing green and red pins. Just been debating whether to do red, green, red, green or the other way around.

16. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I've had two CBE tek hybrids and the reason I got rid of them is the poor pin brightness. The first was the pre 2014 which was notorious for poor brightness. The second was the post 2014 with the added fiber and it was still bad. Loved the sight. If I owned another down the road I would put an HHA scope on it.

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the record, the pin is green in the picture I posted above.
    I'm with Max, I am seriously considering changing the scope on it to a different brand. I changed the pin already to a new one and it didn't help.

18. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well dang, I need to quit asking questions about sights. Both times I have been set on one, I end up seeing stuff that makes me wonder if it is a good deal for me.

All I know is I need something different eventually because the pins on what I have are incredibly dim indoors and in low light. I have to use the LED light on it constantly.

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did order a green 0.019" pin for that rest. If it comes before you buy a rest I will post a new pic to see if helps your decision as it's a rhino pin from the hunting sight. I love this CBE sight, it is a target sight not a hunting sight, but it is still very well made and works great. I am just not a fan of that .010 pin lol.