***Bone Heads - Team 15 Thread***

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by rizzo999, Aug 17, 2015.

1. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whats up man?! Checking in here. Plenty of deer around here, just not many big bucks. Got a few that aren't too bad. Lots of does to pick from. 14 days and a wake-up til bear season opens in Minnesota. I'll be in a tree for that. Weeks vacation to hunt bear is something I look forward to all year.
    Haven't been on much this summer, things been pretty hectic. I'll make sure to be around more now tho :)

Sent from my SCH-I535

2. rknierim

Dislikes Received:
    Heart-shot hustlers
    Buck drop crew
    Doe destroyers
    Buck dynasty
    Brown N Down
    Passthru patrol
    Tree top terrors

Bored at work. Can anyone tell?

Sent from my SCH-I535

3. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are archery hunt here started last weekend. I have four cameras out and I have two areas that a few deer are coming into some what regular. In the spot I choose to hunt has a two and three point (western count) buck coming in most mornings. I hike in well before morning light, get myself all set up. Sure enough right around 7:30 those two bucks come in. The three point is about 10 yards ahead of the the two point. There both just feeding coming in everything looks good for me to get a shot at this three point. The three point gets with in 16 yards of me. Its all perfect he is broadside they don't even know I exist. The buck puts his head down I draw back, I'm counting steaks off him already. i get a smooth release and WHACK! The three point charges off. I'm trying to figure out what happened and I see my arrow 12 inches in front of me. I had hit the dead fall I was behind. I hadn't kneel ed up quit high enough and hit dead center on a 4 inch round dead fall. But to my surprise the two point ran right in front of me about 19 yards and he too was trying to figure out what was going on. I was able to knock another arrow and shoot him. So I am sorry. I could have got a few more points for our team.

4. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Also welcome everybody. I don't think the other teams know what there up against :whip:

5. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    WTH is that awful smell in here?

6. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It doesnt matter about points oldcarp. Its all about getting us hunters together and talking. I could care less if we all took spikes this year. You wanted one of those bucks and you have every right to harvest that animal. If you are happy with your buck then everyone else is going to be happy as well. Nice job bud.

As far as team names. I like "Buck Dynasty" that was mentioned above

7. jarodkallal

jarodkallal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PICT0055.jpg
    one of the very few buck pics i have this summer. also the biggest. hopefully the bigger ones are just hiding out.

8. Scott S

Scott S Field Staff Manager

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Oldcarp! Drawing first blood! At least you got another shot off! It certainly doesn't matter what you shoot as long as your happy!

9. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My name is Mike. I live in northern IL and hunt an area around here that the deer population has been decimated in the name of CWD. The state's DNR has hired sharpshooters for a little over a decade to attempt to stop the spreading of CWD. The good news is that our infection rates are a lot lower than those in SW Wisconsin, but we also have very few deer around. I have killed 2 bucks that were infected with CWD (10 pointer- 2009 in IL; 8 pointer- 2013 in WI).

My best chance at putting down a decent buck will be on public land downstate IL closer to jarod. I will be down there the week of Nov 9th to try to get on a rutting buck. I may also take 2-3 weekend trips also to hit some public land downstate earlier in the season pending on cold fronts. I am mostly a mobile hunter meaning that I pack in my stand each and every hunt. I do have a few permanant locations around home, though.

10. rknierim

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah... for those that dont know... my name is Rob. South center Illinois. 45 yrs old. Hunt both public and private. My biggest was a 128 3/8". Not huge by some standards, but I'm pretty proud of it.

Sent from my SCH-I535

11. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    My name is Dan. Grew up out west on a mountain and besides a stint in the military I'm still here. I do have a passion for elk and if we connect this year I will post pictures. All my hunting here is public. Most hunting out in the west here is public. I do really enjoy hunting whitetail in Kansas. I have family out there that farm so that's the only private land I hunt.

Please nobody take me to serous I do like to joke around a bit

12. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a couple pics that I got around the week of Christmas. Pics taken on a 3 acre river-bottom property that I hunted 13 times last year. Only saw 4 deer all season and all 4 of them at that same time running a tree line about 400 yds away!!! There is definitely some decent bucks around here, but they are holed up on properties that are basically complete non-hunting sanctuaries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Rizz thats a good looking buck.

PRMS0009.jpg
    This guy showed up once. i think he was just passing thru. We have to deal with sheep here and I think he watered and went up and over. Forgive me on the date its my boys trail cam. If the date was right he would be in four feet of snow

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  14. Scott S

Scott S Field Staff Manager

Dislikes Received:
    Here is my #1 but haven't seen him for about a month...

STC_0039.jpg

15. jarodkallal

jarodkallal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    rizzo, if u dont mind me asking where is the public land closer to me? I salute you for your efforts because the public land around here gets hit very hard all year.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  16. Cody_MidMO

Cody_MidMO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cody checkin in. Super Stoked about this season! Just ordered a new game camera and some new bow hunting boots. Got 40 extra acres of beans planted. Gonna do some quick work on some bedding areas! It's all looking good for this year. Got some pics and intel that some booners are still roaming around and plan to put up some pics soon. Super excited...this is the year I down a 150"+ booner with my bow!

17. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    Sent you a PM. I listed the counties out for you. Each of the counties I listed are a lot closer to you than me!! You are correct, they do get hit very hard. I cyberscout heavily and rely on the info I learn on aerial and topo maps when I get to the properties to scout in the late winter/early spring. Based on that info I mark some spots on my phone (using an app called Trimble). When I return in the fall to hunt I have marked each of those spots based on the optimal wind direction. Many times I get to a place to set-up and there may be a stand (or even another hunter) in the area. I just take a look at my maps and move onto another location as it is public land. That guy has as much right to be hunting there as myself. I just figure that he has already really stunk up that area anyways so I'm moving on!

18. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    So, when does everyone's season begin (except oldcarp!!!)? Here in IL we begin Oct 1st.

19. Cody_MidMO

Cody_MidMO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sept 15 in Missouri

20. rizzo999

Dislikes Received:
    I always liked hunting WI due to that early start. If you have patterned a deer during the Summer those early starts to the season can be great! Good luck. Can't wait to see some of those trail cam pics of yours.