NY new antler less only regulation

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Battle734, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Battle734

Battle734 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you fellow NYers affected by the new antler less only regulation from oct 1st to oct 15th. They claim it is to increase the amount of doe taken overall. I believe this will do the opposite since most hunters will now probably wait to sit in the woods. Why blow up your spot if you aren't able to shoot that buck you are chasing. I am very upset about this new reg. thoughts?

2. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of my spots it affected, and I agree that it makes no sense. A lot of hunters I know won't shoot a doe before that rut anyway since they are basically walking bait for a buck. It def sucks cause the beginning of hunting season depending on how warm it is, they could still be on their summer pattern and in bachelor groups making it a little easier to have a shooter show up.

3. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am but dont really care for it... since I see more bucks anyways the end of October into November. .. I too am a little upset about this but we have a lot of doe around the area and I would love to take out a ton of doe to bring the buck to doe ratio up. But come early October I have a spot out of this zone that usually hits good for great early buck movement... so I dont care. But not sure how u feel about it but I'd love to see the 3pt restrictions go state wide with the youth hunts exempted from this... what I think really is happening is a lot of people just simply dont have the time to make it out do to nys sucks to live in and cost a fortune so everyone's working hard and long... plus I remember ny didn't open till October 16th every year so if u think about it nothing has changed ur just waiting to hit that stand till then... but ill be out October 1st shooting does but ill be hunting the field edges and staying out of my ridge line stands that usually are good for buck movement every year.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  4. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wish they would do that here in NC.....according to the game warden...for a healthy deer population we need 2 does per buck and right now we have over 30 does per buck...but for some reason...no one wants to kill any does...they prefer to kill small bucks......its ridiculous I honestly believe that if we thinned out a lot of these does there would be less food competition and our bucks would grow bigger and there would be more mating competition and our bucks would get crazier durin the rut.....but I could be wrong

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    New York sucks.

6. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im directly effected by it, Long Island, first 2 weeks of theseason IS antlerless only. I will still hunt, I have no problem taking some does, but I will stay away from my good spot!! And like trial153 says, NY does suck, I`m getting tired of it!! Toooooooooooo many people, its out of control

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PA has a special regulation units early anterless only (well this year we can shoot a buck, but years past it was always anterless only). It never seemed to mess anything up. Later in the season we still saw bucks chasing does like every year.

8. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey also not sure if people knew this but turkey season for the fall is moved till Nov 1st and can only take 1 bird either sex.... I think this is state wide but idc dont really turkey hunt the fall unless one pops by me while im in the stand

9. Battle734

Battle734 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i just heard about the turkey season when i grabbed my tags just now. not a fall turkey hunter so no biggie for me. but im ready to go. the systems was extremely slow to print tags, but nothing like last years botch job if you guys remember that pain in butt. i will still be in the woods but like some of you say saving my good property for my bucks.

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The turkey population been in the crapper for the last 5 years at least...about time they took some steps to turn that trend around.

NY deer hunting is an abortion. The DEC can screw up a wet dream.
    with some simple changes NY ( at least west of I81) has the potential for decent deer hunting. However our seasons and tag system is counter productive to improve in the herd.

1) One buck tag, to be used in any season
    2) State wide regular season 8 days starting the Saturday after thanksgiving.
    3)Archery season Oct 1 to Jan 31st
    4) Muzzle loader season the second Saturday in dec for 7 days.
    5) DMP issued by DMU via lottery non transferable. In areas with unlimited or high DMU quota sell the over the counter.
    6) AR's 4pt on one antler west of I88 and 3Pt east of I88....for a 5 year period then eliminate them.

11. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just one more way to prove politics and deer management doesn't mix. NY has 1 deer biologist, how can just one man cover the entire states deer population. Deer per square mile vary immensely from county to county. I'm very affected by the new "law" I have to find a new place to hunt for the first 15 days. Smh way to go NY..

12. OBrien33

OBrien33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am also very affected by this. Live in 8A and hunt 8A, 8C, and 8G. Since I have options to hunt doe all year round, I find that this will just keep me off one of the farms and off my property for the first 15 days. I may actually wait to get deer hunting all together for the month of October. Try and get a fall bird since I had no luck this spring.

13. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The one thing I cant figure out for the life of me about this regulation is if its supposed to be so more does are taken, why did they then lower the amount of DMP's to be given out in these areas for this fall? It seems counter-productive.