New Chill R and HHA Kingpin

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by kb1785, Aug 15, 2015.

1. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just got my new Chill R yesterday. I got a great deal a couple of weeks ago and ordered one. Set up is as follows; 29 inch draw, 70 lbs., 85% letoff rockmods, axion 5 inch stabilizer, QAD Mathews rest, and HHA Kingpin sight. Spent about 2 hours at the pro shop getting it sized and fitted properly and had the sight shooting good at 20 yards. Got home last night and did the HHA sight in procedure for the tapes and put the appropriate tape on the wheel. By then it was dark. This morning went and shot again so these are my initial impressions.

I have been shooting a Z7x for about 5 years and I loved that bow and shot a lot of deer and 2 bears with it. The Chill R definitely draws smoother than the Z7x and also has a much better back wall with the rock mods. The Z7x always wanted to take off if you gave it the slightest opportunity but not so with the Chill R. I normally shoot 65 lbs. with the Z7x but set the Chill up at 70 and I honestly cannot tell a difference which I attribute to the draw cycle and the 85% let off makes the hold about the same also. For a speed type bow it is quiet and it feels fairly dead in the hand. So far shooting has been extremely accurate which could be part bow and part sight which I'll get into in a minute. When I get back to the bow shop I am going to chrono my setup to see what it is doing, I shoot about a 420 grain arrow. Initial impressions are very favorable but more to come after I get 2 - 300 shots downrange.

I have only shot multi pin sights before, never any single pins but as I was getting older and my eyesight not what it once was I started checking into single pin sights and the HHA intrigued me after doing my research so that is what I decided upon. After the sight in procedure, which was fairly easy BTW, I went to various ranged distances to see if the tape system was accurate. I must say I was impressed. Every range was spot on. My biggest adjustment is the moving aperture housing as I had with multi pin sights set up my peeps with to halo the housing and it is taking some getting used to the moving housing and not using the aperture halo. Man am I digging this sight though. I definitely cannot shoot at the same bullseye at close ranges 20 - 30. Backed out to 70 yards and was hitting a 4 inch circle on my deer target. That is awesome for me. I did put the 2x lens on the Kingpin and that makes a huge difference for my older eyes. Initial impressions of the sight are excellent.

All in all I believe this combo will be deadly in the woods this fall.

2. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    kb1785, congrats on the new rig. There isn't anything wondering around that you won't be able to take down.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  3. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new set up! I love my Chill-R, hope you have the same experience