arrow rest

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bo., Aug 11, 2015.

1. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I never really liked the quick tune. I've had a apache for 5 years and it's still going strong. Now my sister is using it along with the riot I gave her. I wouldn't have a problem using a qad but I haven't heard of a apache or trophy taker giving anyone serious trouble that couldn't be fixed with proper set up. They just seem a bit more reliable than the qad.

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the limb driven trophy taker smackdown, don't have to worry about timing and you don't have that cord in the middle of your cable. Have also had 2 qad's and never had any failures

3. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate it a lot guys. to be honest....I didn't really know there were that many options and I didn't know about drop aways...but I really like the way they work. I looked up some slow motion videos and they are very neat rests. I like the WB and will probably keep it around but I believe im gonna look into saving up the money to get a high quality drop away (preferably full containment) yall guys have helped me out a lot with a lot on here!

4. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You cant go wrong with a trophy taker smack down pro I've had the same smackdown for 3 years on different setups and it has never let me down not once and they have great customer service if needed it has never failed to drop away just make sure when you do make a decision that you get it set up right the smackdown i have Is also limb driven

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the same QAD since 2012 (well it is on the bow I gave my nephew now) without an issue. I have had 4 total now.

I think you read about more issues because so many more people use them. Go on archerytalk and ask about which drop away rest the QAD will be recommended more than any other, so a lot of folks are using them. That doesn't make them better, but there are a lot of them out there so more chance for issues.

6. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be smart, make the right choice.....shoot a QAD

7. Riverbc

Riverbc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a NAP Apache, then switched to a QAD HDX. I found the QAD had better containment (was quieter because of it), and the QAD was also a lot lighter than the Apache.

8. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said earlier, I like the apache rest (I used the carbon model) but there is a reason its priced lower than a QAD HDX. Its a lower quality rest. Argue with me all you want but its true. Its big and bulky and heavy. Yes it does a good job and is a good rest but its not on the same level of a HDX

9. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The issue I had with a WB was with helical fletching. for straight or slight offset fletching, the WB is fine. with Helical fletching it does have a lot more drag.

I like helical fletching as it stabilizes my Broad heads for longer distances.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have QAD Ultra HDX rests on both my bows and they work really well.

11. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered a QAD Pro Hunter to be installed along with my new strings. Gonna give a drop away a try for the third time.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

12. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lol I have been looking up a lot of youtube videos of bout every suggested rest on here so far and I believe I am partial to the QAD so far. it seems that in the videos with the slow motion drops that the QAD cause less arrow movement during the drop. deer season is a month away as of today for me so I wont be making the change this season but probably next summer start looking into the possibility of switching to a QAD

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Should have spent a little more and got a model with lock down. Some folks have issues with the Hunter bouncing back and that is one reason some dislike QAD's.

14. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I could have gotten a higher end rest if it wasn't for needing new strings too.

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In opinion as long as you have something on your shelf and the rest is timed correctly it will be fine. I used a Hunter without issue on a Bowtech Assassin. I just read a lot of threads where folks are whining about that model lol.

16. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot a lot of arrows out of WB's and drop aways. from a purist point of view I like the drop away, no denying the speed boost over the WB, I like the clean release of the arrow and etc. however, i'm also more of a pragmatist and the WB is quite an elegant solution. simple. effective.

realistically though, I think anyone is better off spending the cash for a new rest on a proper tuning and setup of the bow by a good technician (if you can't quite dial it yourself). much more effective way to spend your hard earned cash 'cuz both are proven technologies, both are reliable, both are accurate, both will take a deer. but if your bow is not dialed in and set up proper neither will work well. just my take.

17. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't have said it better myself. This QAD will be my first time with a containment style drop away. Previously I tried a G5 expert 2 which was nice enough for targets but lost out to the arrow containment of the WB when hunting.

18. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I never said they were bad and a lot of them failed. I'm saying I've never heard of an apache failing. Google it and you will find the people that had problems didn't set them up right. Everyone has an opinion and not everyone is going to agree. Nap apaches and trophy taker smackdowns are built tougher and will not fail you 9.9/10 times. My opinion is that the qad rests have more of a chance at failing than the apache or smackdown. So choose what you want. I want to be able to know rest won't freeze when it gets cold and wet from snow.

19. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    It probably costs less because there's less moving parts to fail you...

20. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And it's made in China vs USA is one reason it is less expensive. I like the Apache rests but I prefer to buy made in USA products when I can.