arrow rest

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bo., Aug 11, 2015.

1. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see a lot of talk about many different kinds of rests. I use the whisker biscuit but it aint usually talked about is it not a very good rest? I liked it cause it holds the arrow in place.......but im very new at this so suggestions welcomed

2. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the biscuits really but I've never used one. I have a 26" draw and only pulling 55lbs so I wanted to get every ounce of energy down range. My buddy shoots one and I can hear the arrow pull through the whiskers when he draws and silence is a biggie hunting. I had the money so I bought the QAD Ultra rest. You can lock it in the upright position (for lack of technical term) before you draw so the arrow won't fall out. 2nd season hunting and never had a problem at all. I won't use anything else unless it gives me a reason to.

3. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    is it a drop away? I have been thankin bout the drop aways. I feel like maybe I might not be getting the full potential of my arrow and bow setup due to the drag that im certain the bisquit puts on the arrow...its fast and its accurate......but I wonder if it would make a difference

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Yes the QAD is a drop away. I'm not a numbers guy but drag and friction usually mean a loss in energy in some way. How much? I have no idea but there are probably a couple guys on this forum than can tell you. I know there are plenty of guys that hunt with whisker biscuits and a tiny loss of energy should not result in the difference in killing or not killing an animal. Shot placement is the most important.

If you can put arrows where you want, that's the number one thing. You can spend thousands of dollars on all the best equipment and appear to be Robin Hood........ until you shoot. If you have $150 burning a hole in your pocket and nothing else to spend it on, get a good drop away rest. I love mine but sometimes the old saying of if it ain't broke holds some weight.

5. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100% I may in the future try it out. far as the numbers go I found this little nugget of info floatin around on the internet http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...6/does-fallaway-rest-outshoot-whisker-biscuit it might be worth a look see.... ill probably stick with the biscuit for now not because I believe its better but because it does work well for now but if I do get that 150 burnin a hole I will try it out

6. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I'll check out the article. I know what you mean about the money. I've got a long priority list of hunting equipment! It's hard not to get sucked into technology sometimes.

7. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you got that right! especially with bow hunting....I love shooting the bow.....im bout to give up the rifle huntin lol

8. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whisker is a good rest. I used one for several seasons and never had any issues with it. I think studies have shown that you may lose 2 - 3 fps from your arrow by using one which is negligible IMO. I now use a QAD drop away and like it better but it is a bit more time to set up correctly than the biscuit.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with the WB. If you shoot a lot of helical and shoot a lot (several hundred arrows a week) you may experience some fletching damage like I did when I used one. I use QAD HDX's now but would use a WB again if I was going on a long back country hunt and wanted to minimize things that could break.

10. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a WB for years. Then switched to a Rip Cord. Hated the Rip Cord (had a few issues with it) and went back to a WB for the last 2 seasons. This year I broke down and bought a QAD HDX and could not be happier. That said, I wouldnt hesitate to use a WB again for any reason.

11. OzarkLuke

OzarkLuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like my WB just fine.

12. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spend a little money and get a Schaffer Opposition Light rest, they're foolproof and built like a tank. Just my $0.02.

13. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    I dont see anything this rest does that other quality rests do not. Honestly, I would spend my money on a QAD HDX. Tried and true design and named best fall away rest YEAR AFTER YEAR. There is a reason for this

14. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm honestly not a qad fan. The nap apache, trophy takers, hamskea versa rest and other rests similar are probably better and more reliable. They just have a simple design that has failed way less than any other rest(s).

15. frantzracing0

Dislikes Received:
    The apache works great, iv used one myself (apache carbon). That said, ill take my QAD any single day over the apache. I hated that my arrow just flopped around inside of a cage with the apache unless I used a rubber groove on the shelf. Mind you, this was on my cousins bow but I did put well over 200 arrows through one. I fail to see your argument tho, please tell me how these otehr rests are in any way better? QAD has the best reputation in the business. This isnt a fluke, its because.......they are the best. Hands down

16. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bo. After seeing your interest in fletching your own arrows, and tuning your bow the best you can. I would assume you are into it more than just to dust off the bow a week before hunting season. If you want to become a great archer, Consistency is key. The drop away rest are great because you have minimum arrow contact. When the canes go threw the whiskers they won't go threw the same way every time. This will create more or less drag in different directions causing the arrow To go off course. This is very slight, and would never cause you to miss a deer.
    For me though. I spend a lot of time tuning my bow and setting up my arrows, and practicing at long range. I want to be as accurate as possible because I shoot at targets year round. Because that alone in a hobby of mine. Not to mention. If you fletch your own arrow. It gets anoyying having to refletch them do to the whiskers causing the vanes to get wavy.

Also to add. There are many good rests that hold the arrow well. I really like my ripcord ace, but some guys don't like the ripcord brand. I also have a trophy take that is not a full containment. It's a very simple rest, and very reliable. That one is good for 3d but not for hunting.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  17. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    How does qad have the best reputation? Just because a lot of people use them doesn't mean they're the best. I would take a trophy taker over a qad any day and I've never heard of a apache or trophy taker failing like I have the qad's. I've heard people saying that their qad didn't drop and it ripped the fletching off. Tell me how an apache or trophy taker wouldn't drop at all? If I had to rely on one rest I would pick either of those two. But to each his own.

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have three QAD rests, they've yet to fail or have any troubles. I did have a nap drop away rest fail. ;)

19. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    How so and what model? Was it the apache, apache carbon, one the cheap rests or the armorrest? I could see the armorrest failing somehow but not the apache's.

20. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol. I've been around for a while, it was a Nap quick tune.

Anyhow, It wasn't 'cheap' at the time. It just quit dropping away fast enough one day and I would get feather confetti at every shot.

My husband tried an nap on his 101st airborne but the only rest that he could get to work for him was a limbdriver.

I'm not bashing NAP, but I wouldn't swap my QAD for one.