Best Implement to Break Ground - Forested Land

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by John The Hunter, Aug 9, 2015.

1. John The Hunter

John The Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good evening all.

I just finished installing my first plot - only about 1000 sq. ft. - back in the middle of nowhere. Best funnel area on my 40 acre parcel. But it wore me out! Managed to get the tiller back there, but it's all old forest and never been worked.

I've got another area on the property that is more ideal for a larger plot. But after trying to break ground on the little plot I just completed, I'm wondering how to break ground on a bigger area. The ground is uneven, somewhat rocky. And I'm no spring chicken!! Chasing a tiller is not an option for a bigger plot.

So, what are my options? What have you all used in similar situations?

2. DChappell

DChappell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I actually used a box blade with the teeth all the way down. The first few passes with teeth up to remove all the old leaves etc. then dropped the teeth and it ripped through the hard ground and small roots. Did an excellent job. However after trying for 2 years I have come to the realization that unless you have all day sunshine on a spot planting in the woods just doesn't work for me. I wish there was a food plot mix that would work on partial sun. None of the "no till" products I've tried worked. They pop up fast, look good for a couple weeks then die off

3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used the box blade method on 2 of our smaller plots, 4600 sqft each. It worked really well to break the ground up to where the 3pt disc would turn it over and knock the clod size down. It had been in an area the cattle stomped down earlier this year. I'll try to post the pic's later.

4. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Skid Steer.

5. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just rented a 50" disc yesterday to do mine. Pulled it behind my UTV. A month or so ago I mowed it down, then hit it with Roundup, then last week I burned the remaining dead grass off (probably wasn't necessary), then last night I disc'd it. After running the disc through it I quickly hand raked it, broadcast seeded it, and then lightly raked over it again.

This was in a pocket of brushy open area on my land. It gets sun the majority of the day.

We'll see how she grows.
    [​IMG]

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been wondering the same thing. This is a small area I knocked brush down by hand and sprayed in an area that was cleared almost 3 years ago. You can see what I'm dealing with. The good sized stumps and you can see each of the bushes are new shoots growing on more Maple stumps that I haven't gotten to yet. the ground itself has many large Granite rocks.

To really clear this it would take heavy equipment, Dozers, loaders and Backhoes. And the land owner isn't going to go for that. What I would like is something fairly small that I can work around and between stumps, but that won't get wrecked by hitting huge rocks that may only be and inch or less under the soil.

[​IMG]

7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We used a middle buster this year, we are letting winter break it up more and going to till it next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk