bow mounted cameras

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bo., Aug 6, 2015.

1. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    anyone use these? and which ones would yall suggest....considering getting the drift but I dunno.....sounds better than the go-pro.....any thoughts?

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a go pro for alternate shot angles but not on my bow. Also they don't zoom and don't do well in low light so the deer look tiny if you can even see them in the shot. The new stabilizer cams look cool tho, I'm not sure if I would want to sacrifice my stabilizer for one.

3. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend staying away from drift. They don't tend to last very long. I personally own go pro and love them! But it a lover hate thing with the wide angle lens! I've heard good things about the new Garmin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had this setup in spring turkey. I never shot a turkey but I did use it practicing. I like my Go-Pro but the lack of zoom hurts it.

[​IMG]

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've been toying with the Tactacam for a few weeks now and for a bow-mounted camera it's the best I've personally used. I own and use a GoPro Hero 4 and its a very nice camera, however the super wide fish eye leaves a lot to be desired when shooting at a target. The Tactacam doesn't use a super wide angle lens so you can see what you're shooting at much more clearly and it has a simple one button turn on & record, one button turn off function. If you're looking for a camera to mount on your bow to capture the animal and the shot, I think it's a great option.

6. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also use a GoPro and like previously stated, the lack of zoom really hurts it. However, I wouldn't hang it up - put it on "Narrow" and you should be fine on any shot under 25yds. Although it wont be as clear as what you see on BHOD, it's better than nothing. Also, you can still use it to film yourself going in, or point it back at you when you draw and shoot. If I can figure out how to upload a video of a hunt last year, I'll post it.

7. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  9. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    does the tactacam have zoom capabilities? or is it just constant 3x

10. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Every video I've ever seen from a bow-mounted camera looks like an earthquake hits when the arrow is released and you only see a deer running away. You never see a clear impact shot. Take the video posted above for example.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have both the Go Pros and Tactacam. Tactacam is simple to use and work ok. I like ether remote control for the GoPro because you can turn on several cameras at once for different angles with little movement. You will get some vibration and of course you have to remember to keep the bow pointed at the animal after the shot as well.

Either choice is ok but no substitute for a quality HD camera if you really want to see whats going on and get good sound quality.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's constant.

13. hi_c

hi_c Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Replay XD mini which records in 1080. As stated above, it's not really good for impact shots but better for a second angle of yourself. Use a camcorder with zoom for the animal. Below is a sample video of mine in the back yard. It's also waterproof to 5ft or so.

https://youtu.be/0ZEnk7VyK1s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  14. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use my gopro hero 4 black. Like justin said, it leaves a lot to be desired. Perfect for 2nd angle though. I also like to mount it to my flashlight using the gopro sportsman mount and bloodtrail with it. The hero 4 black shoots in 4k which is pretty cool, but the downside of gopros is they dont zoom, and it looks like an earthquake when you shoot. (As with any bow mounted camera). People often forget that its an action camera. It's not meant for is as hunters. But it shoots some very good quality video.

15. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I was looking at cams and liked the Sony action cam... never got one tho. My plan was to buy the head band mount for it tho.. I dont like how you cant see the shot from a bow mounted camera.

16. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried bow mount cams not what I was hoping for. The shock from the shot makes it hard to see the impact then it's kinda unnatural to follow the deer with ur bow after the shot

17. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  18. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used my daughter's Go Pro Hero 4 this year for turkey hunting on my stabilizer. (When she asked for it for Christmas this year, hunting was the first thing I thought of so sure honey, ask Santa!) Some problems in general is if you are behind cover or in a blind, you may or may not want to expose yourself enough to get the video. Also upon release, I got a lot of shaking. A tree stand will probably not be as much of a problem with cover but you have to remember to still hold your bow in the right direction. Excitement can mess that up a little.

I have a Sony HD camcorder (don't remember the model) and the video quality is much better than the Go Pro.

19. usmc0317

usmc0317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone used the Tactacam with a head mount? I am trying to find something to mitigate that after shot vibration for a clearer shot video. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

20. cart3r_hunt3r

cart3r_hunt3r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a GoPro and change the settings to narrow which improves the quality greatly, however the quality is horrible if your are in the shade looking into an area with half shade half sun, you will only be able to see the half shade part and none of the sun part