does height matter?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bo., Aug 6, 2015.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It seriously depends on the type of cover you have available in the tree you're in. Here in PA for example, we have mainly tall, branchless hardwoods. Hiding in one is somewhat of a challenge, especially once all leaves have fallen. This usually means being at 20ft, sometimes more depending on the terrain and direction you expect deer to come from. If you're a midwestern guy where you mainly see those knarly fencerow type trees with tons of cover, 10-15 feet is all you'll ever need to climb.

2. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in an area that is devoid of very many large trees. I have never hunted higher than about 16-17' and sometimes my set up limits me to 10-12'. I can't comment what it's like at 20'+, but I strongly disagree that 10' is as good at 15' with everything else being equal.

Sure back drop, surrounding branches/limbs, and prevention of a silhouette are more important than an extra 3-5 ft, but again, everything else equal, 15ft will hunt much easier than 10ft. No comparison to the amount of movement that you can get by along with keeping your scent higher off the ground in closer proximities. Just my opinion based on my experiences.

3. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on the tree. If you have lots of front and back cover in the tree where you won't get seen very easily, I might hunt at 12 feet. If the tree doesn't have much cover I might get up 25 feet. I normally hunt between 18 and 24 feet most of the time.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Good Advice!!^ I hang my stands between 15-25 feet. It all depends on the tree and cover. I cut my shooting lanes and setup my ground blind so that I don't have to take a shot over 35 yards. I practice shooting out to 50 yards. It helps makes the 35 yards shot seem a little easier. If you do hang your stand high. make sure you buy a rangefinder with Angle Compensation. Good Hunting this year! :tu:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  5. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A^2 + B^2 = C^2. If you follow that formula you will see that unless you are in an extremely hilly area or 30+ feet up, you probably don't need and angle compensating range finder.

6. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    not trying to start a war but I always wondered how guys preach religiously to hunt 20+ feet up in a tree yet have ground blinds set up. kind of contradicting to me. hunting lower adds much more excitement and challenges to the hunt. I wish more archers would challenge themselves to get closer to their game instead of going higher or shooting farther. imo if you have to distance yourself from your game then you now need to work on your woodsmanship and stealthiness. nothing gets you going more then watching a mature buck under 20 yds from your stand being only 6'-8' high. imo it puts the deer and I on the same playing field and who can outwit who. but to each their own I guess.

7. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to stay 10-15' any higher and the sound gets me busted every time.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  8. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mainly 15-20 ft. for me. I have killed deer from the ground without a ground blind before which as has been mentioned is very exciting but is very difficult.

Lots of things go into making a good shot from an elevated position. I try to aim through the deer and visualize the arrow exit much like a quartering away shot. That has worked for me. Proper form such as bending at the waist is necessary when shooting from elevated positions and on and on.

9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How ever high you decide to go you definitely need to familiarize yourself with the anatomy of a deer. I always try to envision where the heart is exactly in the deer. You'll always hear to aim behind the shoulder but that really only applies to broadside shots. As angles change so does the aiming point. Like several have said try exiting the opposite arm pit.