Multi pin or single pin?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jeffrey Jones, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you prefer a one pin sight over a multi pin sight? I've been asking myself this as I've been tinkering with a one pin here lately verses my traditional 5 pin. Does it take more skill with a 5 pin or more skill with a one pin or is it all just personal preference? Me myself im still stuck on my 5 pin its in tune with my setup and once it is right I dont have to touch it after that but have to train myself for certain scenarios like like if something walks in at 15 yards versus a 30 yard shot or more and knowing right then which pin what color and so forth just train of thought. On the other hand with a Single pin something comes in at whatever range u dial in your yardage an then your ready etc. I guess my real question here is what are some other reasons why you choose one or the other?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. rayder

rayder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was in the same boat as you this spring, I liked the idea of the single pin being able to adjust to any distance, and the how there is less blocking your view. I ended up going with multiple vertical pins, due to the fact that I can't say i'm always going to have time to adjust my sight to a certain yardage, you never know whats going to happen, so I like the idea of already having several pins for set distances. I felt like I got best of both worlds this way.

3. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly once I focus on the pin I need all the others are there true but it's all about focus and train of thought playing it in my head until I release the arrow im cool with a five pin an have never had a big issue with the other pins. One pins are fun too

4. JiAnthony315y

JiAnthony315y Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently switched from a 5 pin to a single pin. I won't be going back to a multi pin sight. When hunting from a stand with a single pin from what I've read people say set your yards at 25 and leave it for the most part. If it comes closer or further within reason then adjust your aim.

Me and my buddy tested this the other day. We set the sight at 25 and shot from 6 yards all the way out to 30 and aiming at the center without adjusting the aim there was no more than an inch difference so the aiming adjustment wouldn't be that critical.

IMO, you can adjust your aim at 35 yds and closer and if the deer is at 40 yards chances are it's not worried about you anyway so you will have plenty of time to range and adjust your sight.

Some argue, what if your at full draw on the deer at 30 and the deer spooks to 40? Well if your like me and suck at judging the distance of a deer your going to let down, regroup, re range if you can and attempt to shoot no matter what kind of sight you have. If your good at judging dsitancs and trust your judgment, you say well you have a 40 yard pin change to. I say if your that good then you wouldn't have any problem adjusting your aim with a single pin sight.

I like my single pin for a couple of reasons. One because the sight housing is clear and there is no taking time to figure out which pin to use. Two, because if I choose I have the option of setting the dial exactly on, if I range a deer at 34 yards and have time I have the option to set my dial at 34 yards.

Good luck with your decision.

5. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why not just get a multi pin slider and have the advantages of both?

I have a MBG Ascent 5 pin slider. Fixed 20-60 Yd pins... If it's past that (lobbing an arrow at an already wounded animal for example) then you start to use the slider and the bottom pin is the one you use as if it were the only pin. Simple concept and offers the best of both worlds.

6. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from a multi to a single several years back and have not even considers going back to multi. Never had a problem not being able to set the pin on a deer. I just keep it at 20 yd and adjust accordingly. The field of view is my biggest plus and I had an issue focusing on just one of the pins on a multi pin. I'm way more accurate with a single but that's just my opinion.

7. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my multi pin sights on both my bows, with that said, I DO want to switch to single pin but i`m so used to 5 pins, i`m a little slow on pulling the trigger!! Maybe i`ll wait til after this season and make the switch come the spring of 16!

8. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of great points and things to consider fellas thanks for the input

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  10. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Recently switched from a multi-pin to a single pin and love it. My group size shrank and I find it much easier to acquire the target in my sight.

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always been a fan of multi-pins until recently. I had a MBG 3 pin Ascent slider last year that I liked a lot, but on a whim I bought a single pin head and converted it. When I switched bows I sold that sight and went back to a multi-pin. I quickly realized I liked the single pin better. I now use an HHA single pin slider and doubt I will change back to multi-pin sights again.

12. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a 3 pin sight set for 20, 30, 40. I've had 5 pins and they do clutter up the view more than I like. I know by flags or landmarks in my hunting area where each range is and I find it easier to split my pins for between ranges.

13. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do most my hunting from ground blinds or still hunting and fixed pins fit my hunting style best. But use what works for you.

14. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the link im gonna check it out