Where would you start

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigDaddy, Aug 4, 2015.

1. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a map of my new hunting area I got today. Far left is an interstate, far right is a gravel road. The hole spot is 32 acres. Front half is a hay field with the back being woods. Have not been in the woods yet. Will be going in this weekend to set cameras up. The owner said the woods is really thick. They have lived there 3 years, and I will be the first guy to hunt it in the 3 years. Not sure before that. Going in blind, where would yoiu start? Any places by looking at the map where you would hang a camera?
    [​IMG]

2. P.Smash

P.Smash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is that water (like a pond or something) in the upper left corner of the woods?

3. BigDaddy

Dislikes Received:
    I believe it is a small pond, but I am not sure if there is water in it all the time. I am definitely going to head there first, and look for sign. Its getting close to season opener, so I really don't want to put any kind of bait out since its not legal here.

4. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bing maps birds eye. It should show you all if any pines in the area. I'd clover leaf the pines (permitting there are any)and look for sign just out side of them. That's how I go into any new area and always have had success. I read somewhere deer will go a mile out of their way for the concealment of a pine/hemlock patch and to this day I hold that knowledge. Good luck!!

5. Tyler_Cline3

Tyler_Cline3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Would not recommend hunting near the gravel road if it is public I have a farm very similar to this that is next to the interstate and has a gravel road splitting it, the gravel road has always been full of poachers, I would start on the upper end of the pond especially if that is a fence row near it. The fence rows always have good activity on my property.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd set a camera on the pond to take inventory and see just what's around.

I'd probably end up placing a stand straight north of your pin marker at the little open area and one nearly straight south at the slaunchways path leading to the neighbors field.

7. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would look at the inside corner that is just off that little island of woods that is in the center of the field. Deer seem to go places they know that they can't be seen. That area between the island of woods and the inside corner looks good. Is there anything planted there? That would also be a consideration.

Blessings........Pastorjim

8. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    maybe u can throw out some no till seed in that open area?

9. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree completely with pastorjim an coveymaster... if that is a pond, see what other water sources are around because that could be dynamite.

10. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you might have a little funnel around that pond. Id check the pond and that funnel, then do what pastor Jim said.

11. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like those pinch points going to the neighbors ag fields both north and south of your pin drop. Also like others said around the pond as well. Locate the thick stuff/bedding and make a plan of attack. Looks like a nice chunk of land good luck!

12. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seeing the large woods that is only a quarter mile south and the river that is down there, I'd put a camera straight south of the pin on the property line so you can see what is traveling from the south. By the looks of the trails on google earth, it looks like a heck of a spot. I'd think about putting stands on the corners of the fields on the north and south lines for early season too.

13. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    X2 the pond most likely funnels to one side and I also find deer like secluded fields/plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Bo.

Bo. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Id set some cameras up between some feeding and bedding area and that water.....they will always be around the water

15. BigDaddy

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help everyone!!! I now have a starting point when I go in there this weekend to set some cameras up.