Thinking about getting a new bow help me pick

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DIY_guy, Jul 31, 2015.

1. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im looking to get a new (to me) compound bow. I normally hunt with a trad longbow but also own and hunt with a compound. Ive been bowhunting for almost 40 years but I have only bought 2 hunting compounds in the last 30 years. I’ve had the same bowtech since 2006 and before that the same PSE for 21 years. Im looking to buy a 2013 or 2014 model and since those model year bows have been out for a while and folks have hunted with them and put them through their paces, this community should be able to speak with first hand knowledge of how they performed (or are still performing).

When it comes to Trad gear, I like homemade and simple. For a hunting compound Im looking for performance (which I determine as speed and efficiency with a roughly 400 to 500 grain total projectile weight as I like heavy broadheads) but I also care about noise and hand shock upon release. The Classifieds here and elsewhere as well as the big online auction site are full of 1 and 2 year old bows so it wont be hard to find what I eventually settle upon.

Please, Make your recommendations. Im not a slave to brands so no brand is automatically off the table. Im looking for dependability as I will hang onto this bow for at least a decade.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If speed, noise, and handshock are your priorities, it's going to be hard to do better than an RPM360.

I've got one listed on eBay right now. It's right up there with the quietest bows I've shot, it draw cycle is very similar to most bows in the 330-340 fps range, but it's blazing fast. I really didn't want to sell mine but I have a new Prodigy and spent a lot of dough on leases this year so I wanted to free up some $$$ to help cover the leases.

3. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Funny you should mention that. I spent some time today reading up on 2014 reviews of that very bow. I currently enjoy the Bowtech I now own. PM me your auction link. I will look at it.

4. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
  5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree with Rick James about the RPM 360 being a great bow. I liked mine much more than the Bowtech Experience I had before it. The Experience is a nice bow, but the 360 was smoother and quieter, to me anyway.

I am also really enjoying my current bow. It is very quiet, and shoots really nice. My only complaint is it is not as easy to adjust the draw length on the Hoyt as it was on the Bowtech. Bowtech is a simple task of moving the mod. On the Hoyts you either need new mods, or if as in my case, I need to go to the next cam. Which means new cams, new mods, & new string/cables. I am not about to go through all that expense for an extra .5" so I am shooting it as is.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Only you, Miller.

"I think your best option is this bow that I happen to have for sale!" :lol:

7. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually viewed his bow (and many others like it) on the big auction sight before he posted his link. Ive been cruising the auction site for the last few days looking for my next used bow.

8. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2014 Xpedition Xcentric
    Mathews Chill R
    PSE DNA SP
    Bowtech RPM 360
    All come to mind...go shoot some then look for one used when you decide.

9. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The more I ponder this the more I am leaning towards a new Bowtech RPM 360. I just need to find the time to go shoot one set at 60 pounds with my heavy arrows to see if I like it and if it meets my exceptions for performance/efficiency.

10. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is already sold. With that said, here are some real world numbers for you.......58lbs, 30" (AMO measured) draw, 413gr arrows, 304fps.

11. cyokley40

cyokley40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love all of them. But if I had a pocket full of money my first pick would be a Hoyt

12. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats why I am leaning towards the 360. Efficiency numbers like yours (1.46) is higher than any bow I have ever tested in the last 5 years. Most of the other performance testing I have looked into for the 360 show efficiencies of 1.26 to 1.28. (which also higher than all my tests of many bows over 5 years.)

I place a good amount of value in energy out vs energy expended because as I age, Im getting further and further from drawing 70 lbs so I want to get the most of the arrow as I crank it down to lower weights and thus far the 360 ranks highest.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can find killer prices on the BowTech Insanity, it's specs are very close to the 360's.

14. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You bring up a good point.

15. P.Smash

P.Smash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since yer primarily a traditional feller.....I wouldn't go with a balls out speed bow, JMO.

I'd find something in the 33-35 inch ATA range, with a smooth draw, solid back wall and 7 inch BH. About all companies make a bow with these specs and it should be very shootable for you. Have fun on your search and it wouldn't hurt to go shoot a few new ones just to get a feel for the type of bow that really fits you.

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you shot a 360? I liked mine much more than the Bowtech Experience I had before it. It was not at all what I expected. I expected a twitchy bow with a harsh draw that would be hard to shoot consistently. But, at my draw length at least, that was not the case at all. It was super smooth, held like a longer bow (due to the weight, they are heavy), had a solid back wall, but had the benefit of nice speed.

17. P.Smash

P.Smash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No I have not.....I'm using common sense :p

18. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  19. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While I haven't done testing exactly...I think you'll find the Hybrid cam bows like the Xpedition Xcentric and Hoyt Nitrum Turbo will hold speeds at lower draw weight and lengths as they are mod and cam specific vs the Bowtech RPM which is rotating mod binary. I don't think you can go wrong either way. My Bowtech Experience was a sweet bow very accurate. Only reason I got rid of that and didn't buy the RPM 360 was because to me they felt top heavy and I always fought to pull pin up to target. I think they fixed that in the Prodigy, but you won't get the speeds out of it. That is why I went to the Xpedition Xcentric and also the Hoyt Nitrum Turbo. I bought both shot both for a while and the Xpedition Xcentric picked me. It is very fast, but I like the brick back wall, adjustable valley and let off I can get with the Xpedition Hybrid with limb stops.