What's your "realistic" outlook for this season?

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Jul 18, 2015.

1. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i hope for meat in the freezer

2. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully I'll start with a mule deer and an elk in September. When I come home I will most likely shoot a doe pretty quickly. After that I should realistically have a chance to kill at least a 130" 4 year old buck. I'll probably fill any remaining tags with does as usual.

3. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Goals..

Montana Elk
    PA public land buck
    Doe
    Coyotes
    Bear

4. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im looking for anything that makes me happy. A doe will usually fulfill that as well. When it comes to bucks, I hold out for bucks that are 120" and above but really any score goes, as long as I want to shoot it. And hopefully ill get a bear this season.

5. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Goals are to fill the freezer with a couple of does hopefully and Kill a nice Mature Buck. Have a new property and will see how it works out. Also not sure how much I will be hunting with My mom being sick and my daughter starting school. So every hunt will be very precious.

6. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get my first bow kill, I'm not picky!!

2015 Matthews Z2
    28in draw at 60lbs with truglo Rival Hunter sights
    Carbon Express with Montecs
    Ripcord cord red rest

USMC Semper Fi

Remingtion 887 and 770
    Marlin 30-30

7. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Realistically I will probably see squirrels and birds and spend many hours in the stand, odd of shooting at least a doe is pretty high but nothing is certain.

8. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My expectations are all centered around this buck my 2012 and biggest buck with a bow to date and for the love of venison and filling my freezer. If I can tag a buck or two bigger than him i'll be a pretty happy hunter. So my expectations are to fill both my buck tags an take at least 3 does for the freezer[​IMG]

9. PSEFreakAR

PSEFreakAR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm honestly saying I pole axe 2-3 does, have an encounter with a 130+, then bushwhack a 120 because I can't stand it any more..... I'm kinda like that...... But darned honest!!!!!!:violin:

10. Mitchellhunt99

Mitchellhunt99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My goal is to get my second buck with a bow! I could possibly have a chance at a 120" but being young and not to patient, Ill settle for anything that would make me happy!!

11. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been to my spots since last season ended, so I have no idea what kind of prospects I have.
    But I will kill a mature buck and a couple of slickheads

12. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To have fun in the outdoors , enjoy my time in the treestand and kill some deer and help feed some needy / hungry families ..

" Shoot To Grill " Back Yard Bow Pro

13. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm having trouble locating any decent bucks this year so far. Hoping they start hitting the beans in the next week or so more consistently as they are nearly waist-high here. If I can get a couple patterned by opening day that will be my best chance. If that doesn't happen in the first 4-5 days of the season I will focus on taking an ol' nanny for the freezer. Then, I will do the annual gamble and hunt the rut not knowing what may pass my tree stand, but will take a crack at any buck that interests me. My interests typically begin when I am able to age a buck at 3.5 or older on the public lands I hunt.

14. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got an 8 point and 6 point buck in our 14 acres. Provided that they stay in the area, hopefully within the first 3 weeks of the season one of the two are down. I haven't named them yet.

As far as does we have quite a few. I'll wait for a mature doe or the broken leg doe. She's the smartest deer in our hunting area. I've tried to get her for two years and she outsmarts me everytime.

A realistic outlook is: two bucks, two doe for this season.

15. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I need to do some deer management and fill all 3 of my doe tags. And hopefully get a shot at a mature buck.

16. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think a realistic expectation this year is to shot a 125 inch plus deer. I am planning on hunting three states: Kansas, Oklahoma, and Ohio. I planted three food plots (2 Ohio/ 1 Oklahoma) and have 100incher and 115incher already on the wall. I am patient enough to hold out for p&y buck and I'm putting more work into it this year than I have in the past. There's always learning to be done and maturing, I still can't stop myself from checking cameras every week or week and half. Hope that's not my downfall!

17. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My goal this year is to shoot an honest typical P&Y caliber buck, the area I will be hunting has a few running around. I will be happy to kill a doe or two for the freezer as well!

18. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an update. I'm two for two on bats in the house in the last week. Hopefully it's the same for deer this season. I smashed both with a pillow. They bouced off the wall so hard they died.

19. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    My goal and what is realistic are worlds apart. I'm not sure how much hunting I will be able to get in this coming season.
    I guess my goal will be quality hunts vs quantity number of hunts.

20. ksandman

ksandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my 4th season bowhunting - last year a 135"-140" deer surprised me out of no where behind some pines and I rushed the shot, 2 years ago another 140" deer gave me a 15 yd broadside shot behind me and I hit a twig and went right over his back.... Also shot a doe the opening weekend under the apple tree in which she ran into 600+ acres of corns and was never found....

This year I hope to bag my first deer with a bow. With a tough property to hunt getting in and out of and more or less just a travel corridor between bedding grounds, it has been tough. After Thanksgiving the deer vanish to find better cover for the winter (I believe from the wind) and move to all the heavy timber and residential area safety that is 3mi to the east. I got a deer last year during my first ever shotgun season, but time to get one with a bow. I hope to take a buck with bow and a doe again for meat with the shotgun.