Single Pin Pendulum vs. Multipin Sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WKYwhitetail, Jul 29, 2015.

1. WKYwhitetail

WKYwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is kinda like asking whether mechanical broad heads or fixed heads are better haha... I am shooting multi-pin sights and am thinking of buying a single pin sight this year for hunting. I am wanting to hear from the people who have made this switch and how it worked out?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know anybody that still uses a pendulum sight, they were popular years ago, but seem to have mostly gone away. I love my HHA single pin but it is not a pendulum.

3. WKYwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, Pendulum was a inaccurate description. I am looking at moving single pin sights. like the HHA single pin

4. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This has come up quite a few times in the last few weeks.

5. WKYwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    so im busted? haha I just came back to the site today since bow season is approaching and I am trying to cure my itch and anticipation haha.

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a single pin adjustable for this season. I will not go back, the sight picture is too clear.

7. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Single pin for life HHA

8. Bear77

Bear77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Switched two years ago to HHA and love it. I find it much easier to shoot greater distances (60-100yards) with the single pin.

9. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started off with a 5 pin. About a year ago I switched to an HHA. I love the single pin. I know exactly where it needs to be to make my shot. I don't worry about which pin I need to focus on. I see more of what I'm shooting at. For me, it works very well.

10. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always had a multi-pin sight then the season before last I went to a single pin. I shot a doe with it on my 3rd hunt of the year and was happy. Then in nov I had a buck locked in on a doe. They came in and he was at 22 yards. I got to full draw and the second I did she ran off so he took a few fast steps. I had to let off full draw and range him and now he was at 38 yards walking slow. So i put down the ranger finder re-hooked up my release. By the time I got to full draw again he was 40+ yards and in the thicket and I couldn't get a shot. I put my multi-pin sight back on and never went back. The only thing I would think a single pin would be good for is elk or maybe mule deer hunting where you have to shoot long shots.. All it takes is missing an opportunity on that one buck. I'll never go back to a single pin because of it.

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I said it before in your other post, but you would have had to do all that with a multi pin as well. They don't auto range for you. You still need to know the range to know which pin to use. With my HHA set at 25 I know where to aim at 40 to hit the kill zone without moving the sight just in case I do not have to time to adjust it.

12. nickster

nickster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ihave used a couple of actual pendulum sights over the years and switched to the I.Q sight last year. A true pendulum will only
    give you out to 35 yds. you have to figure out how comfortable your shooting ranges are. Iknow there are a lot of good shooters
    out there but I don't recommend those 60 yd shots or more. After all why do we bow hunt. ?

13. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No there is 1 less step with a multi-pin. 1. range 2. hook up release 3. draw & shoot
    Single pin 1. range 2. movie dial on sight to the new range. 3. hook up release 4. draw & shoot

The time it takes for step 2 of the single pin sight might be the time that buck needs to get away. I realize you might be comfortable with aiming high and using an imaginary sight to shoot a longer shot but I'm not. I'd rather not have to guess how much higher or lower I have to aim a single pin on a buck to make a good shot without changing the dial.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  14. T-Squared

T-Squared Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have to tell you that once you move to an HHA you will NEVER go back to multi pins. It has improved my shooting and accuracy even out to those 80 yr 3D targets that I used to only guess at. If you are nervous about moving the pin with a deer in front of you, set the pin at 25 yrds and practice from ten to forty without moving it. With today's speed you don't have to move your pin all that much to make a accurate kill shot. If you second guess the shot, you probably shouldn't be taking it with one, three or five pins in the sight. Make the switch. It's well worth it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015