Slick Trick

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Jul 28, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,
    Sorry if this has been asked before but thought i'd get others opinion. Based on my setup is their any positive or negatives as to which slick trick broadhead I use. Standards, Magnums or the new Vipertrick. I've read some reviews and people say the magnums make a hissing noise when shooting them.

Here are my specs

DW - 55 lbs
    Easton Axis arrows at 392 grains - 400 spine
    Chronographed at 242 fps
    Draw length is 27"

Not really sure if their would be a difference between the standards or magnums for my setup

2. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think they would all work for that setup. Have you tried any to see how they fly out of your bow??? I like them and have about 12 of the 3 packs of the 100 grain magnum slick trick (way more than I will ever use so I was thinking of listing them in the classifieds).

Wish they came with a practice head or at least practice blades because the cheapest I can find a pack of blades for 3 heads is $16 . Ive not heard of any noise issues using the magnums but then like you, my bow is not screaming fast.

3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I can't speak much for your setup, but for mine which is 30" DL 70lb. I shoot slick trick standards. Never had a problem with them at all fly great on a tuned bow, never had a whistle to them. Sharp as sin of out the package and tough as hell. Never tried the viper or mags, but I imagine they both will work fine with your setup. The 4 deer shot with them all died within sight. You will not be dissapointed in the heads.

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here are my specs

DW - 55 lbs
    Easton Axis arrows at 392 grains - 400 spine
    Chronographed at 242 fps
    Draw length is 27"

Not really sure if their would be a difference between the standards or magnums for my setup[/QUOTE]

I have shot Slick Trick Magnums out of an almost identical setup for the last few years. My arrows are slightly heavier at 425 grains. The magnums will do well with that set up. My set up this year is the same except I now shoot a 70 lb bow. I have never had a deer go further than 40 yards with a using the Magnums that old set up.

5. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    That's the thing, I wish I had someone around here that I could either borrow a used one to practice shoot with to see how they fly for me before I buy. A pack of 4 is like $45 bucks here so i'd hate to go spend that money and get the ones that don't fly that great for me.

6. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kurveball18 PM sent.

7. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting around 55 pounds as well and have been using the slicktrick standards figuring the slightly smaller blades will give a better chance of pass through. no deer down with this head but the one hog bagged went about 20 yards. the slick trick blades sharpen up nice. it one of the reasons its a favorite. While I prefer the standards, I don't think you can go wrong with any of their fixed blades. good luck with it.

8. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're producing 51# (rounded up) of kinetic energy, which is more than enough for any of those 3 on deer sized game. The regular Slick Trick doesn't have quite as much cutting surface as the Magnum so won't require quite as much energy, but again, you're producing enough I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be happy with either one. I personally use the magnum, I like the slightly bigger hole. Deer just can't hold it.

9. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check on amazon or eBay. I get all my broadheads online and get them way cheaper than buying from big sporting goods stores. I always buy the standards and get them anywhere from $20-$25 for 3 packs. It sucks there are no practice heads, but I just use one head to tune my bow and then use field points after that.

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used the standards on my old bow without tuning and I could shoot right with my field points.

11. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for all the info

12. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Old post but just wanted to say that since I got my Halon I decided to pull out the slick trick magnum head that a guy sent me last year to shoot and see how they fly for me. Last year with my No Cam HTR they had a loud hissing sound and didn't fly right on. Since it was nearing bow season I didn't change.

Now that I have my Halon setup the last few months and turkey hunting is gone I pulled out the head and shot at 25 yards and it was dead on and dead quite. The Magnums are fricken sweet. I was shooting out to 35 yards and putting them right in with my field points without any tuning. Did I just luck out and not have to broadhead tune or what? LOL

13. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love it when that happens.

Sounds like you found a winning combination

14. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Yea it was such a good feeling as the past 2 years I've been wanting to make the switch back to a fixed head. Last 2 years I've been hunting the the Rage Low KE versions but just never really had a ton of confidence in them but they did fly straight as expected. The last deer I shot was with a regular NAP thunder head on an extreme quartering away shot. I blew through both lungs and cut the top of the heart and the arrow was sticking in the ground. Deer ran about 50 yards and was done. Back then I knew nothing about walk back tuning and broadhead tuning so now I feel I'm capable of going to any head I choose. Definitely going to the Slick Trick Magnums this year. I almost contemplated going to a 125 grain head to get more FOC since I'm on the edge but I'll save that till next year when I switch arrows since I'm due for a new batch.

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I found out this year that arrow spine can make a big difference when tuning fixed heads. Better to be on the stiff side.

With my bow set at 60ish pounds, the charts put me right on the line between 400 and 340. I peed into the wind for several days trying to get my Wasp Drones to tune to a 400 spine arrow. I finally tried a 340 and all it took was two minute adjustments and I was dead on with field points.

It feels good to put the allen wrench away.

16. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Since you mentioned that. When I shot the thunderheads a few years back, the only way I could get them to fly decent enough to hit what I was aiming at was to switch to a 125 grain head instead of 100.

If i'm doing things right, My Halon 6 is at about 53-55 pounds or so shooting my 392 grain Easton axis arrows at 255 fps. They are a 400 spine Axis. I think if i remember correctly when a friend punched it in his OT2 program I was on the stiff side and mentioned about going to a heavier tip to make it more in the optimal range. Wish I could get that program but dont feel like dishing out the cash for it.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  17. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using the viper tricks an i love them they are great heads but seems that all the slick trick are so far

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

18. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Curve, I've been testing a new arrow setup:

CX Piledriver PTX 250's
    Slick Trick Mag's 100gr. vs. G5 montec's 100gr.
    Bow spec: 65#@28"
    Arrow wt: 450+gr.
    Arrow Lenght: 28.5"

POI:

The Montecs hit @POI with fieldpoints @35yds
    The ST mags hit @POI -1" with FP's@35 yds

Penetration:

G5: 7-9" in target medium (rhinehart)
    Mags: 8-10" in target

Conclusion:

Both BH's with these small diameter arrows are a perfect combination, one not much exceeding the other.
    If your bow is not a speed bow, i believe the Mags will shoot out your bow much quieter.
    This is just my .02%!

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  19. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent. I'm thinking i'll stick with going with the ST Mags then. I was contemplating the Standards but honestly after looking at them, there really is not much difference. I'll the little extra cut. I'm currently shooting the Halon 6 at 53 pounds but get pretty decent speed with it at my low DW. Launching my arrows at about 255 so I think I got plenty of power for the mags.

20. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

You will be fine as long as you stay away from the shoulder.