Rack Radish in a clearing in the woods?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by doublehelix8, Jul 16, 2015.

1. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the smallest bag of rack radish the other day. I cleared a small 30 yrd x 30 yrd area near my timber stand with a machete about 3 weeks ago. If I rake all the leaves and sticks away do you guys think any of this will come up? There is literally no way to get machinery back there. I only want the deer to slow down as they pass by. Not trying to hold them at all. We have several other much larger food plots on the property. For in total 40 dollars including fertilizer and a little time I thought I would try it.

2. ruteger

ruteger Guest

How much sunlight does it get? Is it really wet or is it dry? Any reason why you wouldn't use clover?

3. doublehelix8

Dislikes Received:
    It gets a medium amount of light. It also isn't really wet or really dry, it's right in the middle. I didn't want to use clover because we have 4 other clover plots that are 1 acre each. Wanted to try and get some variety in there to slow em down. Is there something better then clover I should put in there?

4. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I think if it gets some light it's worth a shot, but I don't think it would hurt to also overseed with a little clover in case it doesn't produce like you're hoping. I'm pretty new to foodplotting and have never planted in the woods before, so maybe someone else with more experience can chime in, but that's my opinion. Good luck!

5. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    planting raddish in the woods isnt recomended around this time. clover because it doesnt require alot sunlight especially in the woods. out on the field on one of my private access. i planted the whitetail institute imperial winter greens in early july with biologic ph fertilizer on my cultivated clover field and the other private access i planted imperial whitetail clover in the woods. 2 weeks im bringing my weedwacker into the woods to mostly mow down the weeds on the clover.

6. doublehelix8

Dislikes Received:
    Today was the first chance I have gotten to go in and clear the leaves and sticks. (And the first day that hasn't been 95 with 100% humidity). Took my rake in and spent several hours clearing. I am going to have to cut a few medium sized trees down next week to get a little more light in but it looked great after I got it cleared. The trees I'm gonna cut down are also going to be hitched to hopefully bring the deer in from the right wind. It ends up being around 1/8 of an acre. I put 40# of lime down to let it soak for the month until I plant in the 2nd week of September. I'll get some pics of it next weekend but it was raining today so I didn't have my phone.

7. C Rogers

C Rogers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would throw in some winter wheat and clover as well with the radishes. They usually wont touch the radish tops till second frost or so. WW will grow very easy and provide a nice little green patch with alittle clover mixed in as well.