Do you think the POTUS should have a military back ground?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Ranger93, Jul 23, 2015.

1. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ranger those people you have a problem with would never make it be Potus. Not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Uhhhh, you do know who our current POTUS is, right???

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL!!!

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How about the current Sheriff of San a Francisco was a career politician before he was voted in as Sheriff. No law enforcement experience at all. That just seems weird to me but hey, it ain't my city.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never really understood the sheriff being an elected official. Same goes for coroner.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

6. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    George W. Bush didn't have any military experience and he managed to start a war and destabilize an entire region of the world all by himself. Well.... Cheney and a few others helped. ;)

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no huge GW fan, but that's just flat out wrong. And dumb. GWB was a commissioned officer and served as a pilot in the Texas ANG. You can argue about the quality and dedication of his service, but he served.

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Coroner, not so much. But Sheriff? Who would appoint the county sheriff? County commissioner? What is this, Dukes of Hazzard? The point of an elected Sheriff is for a county to have an independent law enforcement department beholden only to the law and the residents of said county.

9. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Requiring military experience for a president would rule our a lot of people who couldn't serve in the military even if they wanted to do so.

If I walked into a recruiting office at four foot seven and 72 pounds, saying I wanted to enlist, I'm sure they would try to be polite, and wait to laugh after I left.

About half the population is female. Do we want a military which is 50% girls?

My husband served three years active duty. (Army) He doesn't feel that anything he experienced would make him more qualified to be president.

10. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never said anything of the sorts, we have rules for them to be of a certain age and many other rules most don't know. It says in the President's oath of office that he will do his best to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States (“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”) . I don't feel in my opinion that a President that hasn't served knows how to do so properly without having done it. Look at history, some of our most successful Presidents served in some capacity, were they Military Dictators? As I mentioned before, almost every President that hasn't served at some point down sized our Military, this is horrible leadership. People want to know why it takes so much money to run the Military? It's because we go through a vicious cycle of down sizing and building back up, this cost triple the amount of money, just maintaining the Military is a lot cheaper. There should be mandatory service (two years) for every citizen. I can tell you right now if President Obama had served, the issues we are having with other countries wouldn't be happening, ISIS would be running, not gaining ground. Iran would be shut down and Russia would be whimpering as we speak.