Do you think the POTUS should have a military back ground?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Ranger93, Jul 23, 2015.

1. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would just as well have term limits and vote in joe the plumber then what we have. Trump has some poll number that show people are ready to put a radical who thinks after he blows up he won't make it past the first debate. Both party's is to blame they think they can say the most outrageous things and think people are going to vote for them.

2. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still failing to understand why military field experience is important for becoming the president. I'm not sure I care if the president can make a 1000 yard shot or has tallied up a bunch of ISIS kills. Does being in the military give you the skills to deal with unemployment, inflation, taxes, etc?

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I think it would be a bonus if a President had military experience, but it should never be and will never be made a requirement for the office.

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another reason a dictatorship is a really bad idea.

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No more than they should have been a business owner or a history teacher or a banker, etc. I'm thankful for those that serve, but it should not be a prerequisite to become our nations leader. I don't see it as being a benefit to the office. Military records can also go missing or be exaggerated.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Every president is going to be lacking experience in some way. I'd much rather the president have actual business experience over anything else.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the candidate needs experience period. To me, it doesn't really matter what, but my preference would be that the candidate was not a career politician.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

8. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't think of a good reason why the president should be required to have a military background.

9. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Military leaders deal with same things any civilian does and then some: counselor, financial advisor, deals with and understands inflation and taxes, no such thing as unemployment, they will find you a job, they provide leadership at levels that a civilian can't understand. They are very well rounded, they learn things very quickly, and I can guarantee you another country won't run its mouth without some kind of consequences. Being in the muck and mud, with little sleep and still able to kill ISIS builds character. A military leader can learn anything(Economics) I would say welfare would end immediately. Civilians would hesitate at the things that need to be on the military Strategic level, not an easy decision to kill or destroy things. It has to be a POTUS that knows that the USA is the best place on earth and willing to die for it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  10. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They have to love this country with every ounce of their heart and not get in crooked deals like John Kerry has us in. The politics have to take a back seat. They have to get dirty and make decisions that some may not like and not worry because it will be the best choice for the country and own up to it, not say jacked up stuff like "I just found that out by watching the news!". Can never lie, would rather die before doing so. He needs to be a POTUS that will pull in the heads of the Senate and Congress and have a come to Jesus meeting and get on board with each other, not just whine and cry and do nothing like we have now.

11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Business owners that have employees deal with the same things. And their pay is not guaranteed. And they are never off duty. Military leaders don't have special skills beyond that of most CEO's. But their charges are trained to believe so. I would take a successful business person as president over a military officer with no civilian business experience every time.

12. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't take a Military Officer, should be a Senior NCO. Believe it or not young Soldiers and Marines deal with many business situations in Iraq and Afghanistan, building schools, hospitals, pushing goods that have to get to the locals, filing paperwork and accounting for several thousand dollars, all the time keeping mind to use only what is needed, running foreign country money everyday, and writing contracts by the dozens. And shooting, moving, and communicating while doing these things. From my experience CEOs do very little, their minions do all their bidding for them. Military pay isn't always guaranteed, on call 24/7.

13. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ya they did a great job tracking pallets loads of cash. Trump for general of the army I say.

14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No I do not think it should be a requirement.

15. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No offense to the OP, but it's coming across as if I were to say the POTUS should be a pharmacist.

Personal backgrounds shouldn't shape our views on leadership as leaders can emerge from any venue. Term Limits on Capital Hill would be a HUGE jump start.

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wish we had a civil/military service requirement for full citizenship rights; similar to Israel's.
    The single biggest threat to our country is the uneducated, uninvolved electorate. Everyone who votes (and by extension runs for office) should have or had skin in the game. I can think of nothing more depressing than the fact that a thinking and socially contributing person's vote is potentially canceled out by someone who has done nothing more with their lives than sit at home and collect gubment checks their entire adulthood.

Those who elected not to serve would have same rights as a green card holder currently has. Just no say in how the country is run.
    My .02

17. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think he should have to be an American citizen... ;)

18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:

The CEO's I know work like dogs and put in more hours than most. I think the military does a good job of "programming" its personnel. That is by design and for good reason. But, it has little to do with being a good president. And in some cases, little to do with success in the civilian world. In fact, I think in some cases, it would be problematic. I have seen some guys struggle with making the adjustment back to civilian life after the service. That being said, I would like to see a two year military requirement before college.

19. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been in the civilian sector for five years now, I don't think I've had a problem adjusting. I have a problem with civilians with no structure; late for work, long lunches, whine about deadlines, leave work early, and so on. I don't think they struggle, they want high standards and most don't want to meet those standards. I took over as a supervisor for a job and had a talk with my folks about things I mentioned before, of course they whined some but, once they witnessed the end product they were motivated and continue to be an effective team. Did have to make a few attitude adjustments, all-in-all worked out well. Those are good CEO's, they should work late and like a dog, they have to set the standard, if they aren't willing to do the work they can't expect their workers to do it either.

20. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So basically, Ranger, you think our government should switch from Democracy to a Military Dictatorship. Look it up, it's exactly what you're describing.