Tree stand pulley system

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swise660, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Before you judge me for asking about an easier way to get a stand in the tree, remember, I am women. I am trying to find the easiest and safest way for me to be self sufficient this year.

My brother, dad, or boyfriend have always had to help me get a stand up in the morning and down in the evening being I can't physically get my stand up by myself.

The other day I looked into these tree stand pulley systems you can buy. Any one gave experiences with these? Is there one that is easier to use than another?

Seems to me with the use of one of these pulley systems, I should be able to get a stand up when I hunt by myself.

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you looking to hang a stand and take it down same day?

If so, why don't you try a climber? I'm a small frame female and they make some light enough to use.

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,

I personally have never used one but I know how you feel. I'm a slender guy and not the strongest guy out their. With that said, I understand how it can be difficult and time consuming to put up a stand to hunt that evening and then dink around in the dark taking it all down.

For the past few years I used my climber but also have used a set of lone wolf sticks with a 7 pound Loc-On Limit strap on stand. The thing that helped me the most is using a Linemans belt which helped hold me to the tree so I could use 2 hands to strap the stand to the tree.

This year i'm looking at either the Lone Wolf stand to go with my lone wolf sticks or i'm going to sell my lone wolf sticks and get the new XOP sticks and Air Raid. This air raid stand is about 13 pounds so it is heavier than my current stand but yet lighter than a lot of stands out their. The reason I like these 2 companies is because they both have a quick connect method. Once your at the height you want to put the stand on you will put this quick connect strap or bracket on the tree. (the stand is on your back while you go up the tree).Once have have the bracket or hook on the tree it allows you to just hang the stand on it so you don't have to hold the weight of the stand while fighting to hold on to the tree and wrap the straps around the tree.

I don't know what your budget is or if even a new setup is an option but just wanted to let you know my thoughts as I've experienced it all and different types of setups. The Lone wolf or XOP sticks and stands are probably the easiest hang on setup as they come next to using a climbing stand. You will also find that they are probably the most popular with Millenium being 2nd.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions or want opinions feel free to ask.

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Summit Viper (21 pounds) Just limited to straight trees without branches

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You know I used to try to "horse" everything but as I got older I realized it was easier to do things the smart way. Now I look back on my younger years and wonder why I thought I had to do things the hard way. So don't let anyone look down on you for that. I know Pine Ridge archery makes a pulley system for just the purpose you're wanting. I ended up going to Lowe's and buying the stuff to make my own and let me tell you this, it's alot easier now, and alot safer too. Good luck to you and always use a harness when hanging stands.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

6. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It would be good to get a pulley system. If you're putting up and taking down a stand in the same day I also recommend a climber. For myself I just use a screw in tree step and tie a rope to the stand and tie the rope to the step. After I use the step as a handle to help get into the stand safer.

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe a little background info was needed in my first post. I only have access to state land to hunt so it is a must that I can get the stand in and out in the same day. If I plan to make it out in the next morning I do sometimes leave the stand cabled to the tree (take my steps with me) and hope it's still there.

Finances won't allow me to get a new set up. I certainly can't afford a light weight climber (or an expensive light weight hang on for that matter) and many of my spots aren't climber friendly anyways. I have to make do with the M25 millennium stand that I have.

The Pine Ridge system was one I had looked at and i'm most interested. For $25 it may or may not be cheaper to make my own.

8. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have no experience with pulley systems however, I hunted off the ground for about 10 years before buying a stand. Still love hunting from the ground where it makes sense. Hope you are not overlooking a natural ground blind.

9. bone_driven

bone_driven Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i use a screw in step, a pulley with a wheel on it and some rope from home depot and its pretty easy for me. Screw the step in put the pulley on it and pull the rope through it. just make sure your stand is tied on the other side of the rope before going up.

10. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the H S tree stand hoist set the last few years. Saves a lot of work. Stores in its own shoulder pouch. Don't know if it's still available or not. As already stated, always wear your harness. A linemans belt is a big help as well.

11. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Treestand Buddy makes a system for hang ons. Never tried one, but I'm thinking of getting one.

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I love about my LW is the EZ hang hook. Several other stands make something similar. I have had two back surgeries and a right bicep surgery so hanging stands can be challenging. I also hang and hunt the same day on public land.

OakSturdy makes a treestand pulley system.
    [​IMG]

HME makes a hanger helper that can be used on many different stands also. They also have pulley system.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pine Ridge also has a pulley system:
    [​IMG]

13. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does any one know by chance, have a pulley on them with a stopper? You know, when you let go of the rope, it doesn't drop. Not sure how that would work when I am trying to rope down the stand but I do like the idea of it staying in place whIle I strap it to the tree.

Did a little digging, looks like the OakSturdy monkey does, or at least it says it has an auto locking pulley. Not sure on the others.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you active year round? I know you said you couldn't afford a new stand. Being in good physical condition is free! Are you working out? Please don't take that as a insult in anyway as we don't know much about you! I think the pulley thing will be clunky and loud. Climbing trees is work with or without gear. The M25 is 17 lbs. If I was in your position I would start saving now with the goal of buying a Lone Wolf Assault II weighing in at 11 Lbs.

For me lower body strength is by far the most important climbing trees. You need to come up with a system and do it exactly the same way every time or it will work you to death. Practice, practice, and more practice... I believe the hardest part is mounting the stand to the tree. It's a matter of not having enough hands. If you are not iin good physical condition it can really beat you up.

I'd recommend you tie a stiff loop around the seat post and then you use a EZ hang hook similar to the one Lone Wolf offers to holder the stand in place while you strap it on.

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shopping/Products/E-Z-Hang-Hook-System__EHHS.aspx

They are also pretty easy to make.

ehhs.jpg

15. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you need a rope cleat look at sailing gear check west marine from the pics I looked at on the thread you cloud make one to fit your needs you could get a block setup that has the rope cleat attached as part of the hardware they are general used to control the main boom you would only need one design for a very small boat

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  17. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the HS system is still available, it has a stop on it. It is a handy feature. HS is Hunters Specialties in Iowa

18. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you hunt state land then a climber or a ground blind is the way to go... the climber can be setup and you can be 20 ft in the tree in about 10 mins. The ground blind can be setup and brushed in. in about 15 mins. Both of witch I use when I hunt public land with friends. My own private property I only use ladder stands. Set them up once and walk in climb up and sit down. I leave them up year round and only have to change the straps every 2 seasons.

19. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That one is discontinued, but there are some ideas I may use from that one to make my own.

Another option I like, thanks!

I don't think it would be any louder than me struggling to do it myself with out the help of something. I don't see how it can be loud when you guide the stand as you are pulling it to keep it from banging on the tree or steps. You get it to where you need it, lock the pulley so it stays in place, strap on the tree. The pulley locking in place is going to be my 3rd hand that'll keep it in place while I secure the stand.

If I can find a stopping pulley some where, I may just build my own contraption. We have a neat little pulley system for hanging deer. The pulley on that has a stopper on it, super handy. Some great ideas have been presented to get me thinking about building a workable option for me.

To those that keep recommending a new stand....yeah, its a grand idea but as I have mentioned already I can NOT afford to take those measures right now.

I do know that putting up a stand it hard work, that it why I am trying to find an easier way so I can try and be self reliant this year. If I can get a stand up myself, I can get more days in the woods this season. I have tried putting a stand up myself and attaching it to a tree while holding the stand is the part I can't do. That is why I am trying to find a system (or build one) that has a locking hoist/pulley so I can get the stand at the height I want it and secure it to the tree while it is being held in place. I may not work out but I work a fairly physical job that keeps me in decent shape.

On a final note, YES I will be wearing my harness and utilizing the linemen's belt that is built into it.

Sorry if there seems to be some irritation in my posts, as there is. I just wanted help with getting a tree stand in the tree not pointing out that I need a new stand, climber, or to ground hunt.

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So what is your process now, or when you have tried it yourself? Do you use a pull rope to lift the stand or carry it on your back as you climb? I guess my thought is if you carry it into the field you should be able to carry it on your back up the tree.

Hang your hook, remove stand from back, hang stand on hook, and then proceed... Will that make things easier for you? The routine with the least number of steps will be the quickest and the quietest which also usually translates to the easiest.