When to put up a new stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ctrupp, Jul 20, 2015.

1. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am putting up 2 new stands on a property I hunt. I put one up last year, but did not get it up till late. I am wondering what you think the best time is to put up new stands? Thanks for the help.

2. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think there is a perfect time necessarily. I personally like to hang mine at the end of the hunting season, that way I know exactly what the area will look like when it's hunting time. I'll also know what limbs need to be trimmed way before season starts.

3. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since you don't have them up yet, the sooner the better, if you have a spot they can go. If you do it now the place can calm down and give the deer a chance to get accustomed to it.........Or alter there travel. It usually takes a little tweaking from time to time to get it just right. Just my 2cents

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As soon as you can.

I don't worry about time of day in the offseason. Just hang as many as you can on the same day, then leave it alone.

5. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Late winter and early spring is when I like to hang mine. The only time I have to tweek my locations is when my neighbor rotates his crops from corn to beans or vice versa or if the acorns are bountiful.

6. bone_driven

bone_driven Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    back when i did my hunter safety course awhile back. the instructor said to hang deer stands in the beggining of summer or right after the season ends. He said is like putting a dresser in the hallway at your house for deer. the woods is the deer home and defintely notice new stands in new locations in my opinion. There going to think its strange being there and take time to get used to it. im 22 and that was like 10 years ago and one of the only things i remember from that class.

7. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    February/March, when its still cool and the ticks and chiggers aren't out yet. Gives plenty of time for deer to get used to it.

8. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We put ours up two weeks ago. We like to get them out a couple months before the season so our scent is out and the deer will get used to it. (Especially since they're new stands and have that new "odor" that no matter what you spray is still distinct).

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Every time I hunt...but I mostly use a climber in PA :) .

Seriously we have had our stands up for awhile already in Ohio. At least a month or two I bet.

10. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know one guy said he likes to hang his stands after the season. I don't agree with that. Leaving your stands out all summer means the weather can wear your straps or squirels and naw on them. Also the spring and summer storms can make tree's fall over totally making the deer walk out and around your stand. I've had that happen. I like to put up or move my stands 1-2 months before the season. It's a short enough time that I know where the new trees down are and the trails the deer are taking plus it's a long enough time that the deer forget about your intrusion.

11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After a few months of trail camera patterning. I put new stands up or move existing ones at the end of July. Existing ladder stands I leave out year round (I know a lot of people don't like to do that but I'm lazy like that). The straps get checked and replaced as needed.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^This^