Rubber boots for cold weather, suggestions.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Suncrest08, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking on getting a new pair of rubber boots, was considering on getting a pair for colder weather my feet freeze in my un insulated once November hits, I will be using them for bowhunting primarially. I have a good pair of danners for real cold just looking for suggestions on cold weather rubber boots. Was leaning toward Lacrosse Alphaburly 1000g and up. I have heard about muck artic, but have no experience with muck and heard they fit loose around ankle. Any input is appricated.

2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think Alphaburly's are a great boot for the cold. I actually don't like rubber boots for sitting once November (or cold weather) hits. I have the Aeroheads for the warmer temps but when it gets below say 35 degrees my boots don't breathe well and they get sort of clammy. Then they get cold cuz of the sweat. In my opinion for cold temps I would suggest getting a boot that breathes. I use Irish Setters 1400 gram. Hope that helps you! :tu:

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Irish Setter Rutmaster 800g is what I am using this season, comfortable when I tried them on, 800g of insulation should do.

4. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear Muck Arctic boots for most of my Oct/Nov whitetail hunting and prefer them over Lacrosse Alpha Burley 1000g (had them previously). But I don't wear the mucks in temps colder than the 20's. I switch to pack boots for extremely cold conditions.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know it is not what you are asking, but rubber boots are not a good choice for cold weather. Doesn't matter if they are 800 grams or 2000 grams, soon as your feet sweat from walking in them the cold will set in. In my opinion the more grams you get for your rubber boots the colder your feet end up getting by your feet sweating more in them.

6. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I'm not hell bent on rubber boots I just prefer them over standard boots for bow hunting. Some walks in ohio on public are 1-2 miles back in and I agree on the rubber boots not breathing and making feet cold quick. Hunts around home are not far walks at all. Thanks for the replys all.

7. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt on a farm with lots of low areas that hold water, so it has to be well below zero for a few days before everything freezes solid. Rubber boots are a must.

I love my Red Head 800g side-zips, they are actually warmer than 1400g Guidegear boots.

I got Thermacell insoles last year for xmas and those things are awesome, feet don't sweat so feet stay warm. I would highly recommend them for keeping your feet warm.

8. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only rubber boots I have ever worn that kept my feet warm were Bogs, the catch is they are a hiking boot style.

They do offer a tall boot but I have not tried them. I got mine off Ebay though for like $40

http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/71075-973.html

9. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I have considered the therma cell insoles. How long does there charge last?

10. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I'll check em out

11. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll second the Muck Artic - except I use the Muck Artic Pro. They're my all-around winter boot. I got a pair of the rechargeable socks at Christmas time and returned them. I did not like the feel of it.

12. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Charge depends on how cold it is and how insulated your boots are, b/c they are thremostatically controlled and cycle on and off as needed. I normally sit about 3-4 hours and have been fine, though I won't turn them on until I've been in the stand maybe an hour. I have the cheaper ones that do not have removable battery packs, I assume on an all-day sit you'd need the more expensive ones to change battery out.

13. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    About 6 or 7 years ago I was looking for a good pair of rubber boots and ended up with a pair of Cabelas Dura Trac boots. They have been very durable and comfortable plus my feet stay very warm in them. One key for keeping your feet warm is to buy the boots at least 1 size too big. That way there is plenty of room for circulation and you can wear thicker socks. I have also read positive things about the Alpha Burleys and the Muck Woody Max.

Blessings........Pastorjim

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  14. bone_driven

bone_driven Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have lacrosse 1000g and they work great. My toes rarely get cold with them.

15. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you choose to stick with rubber boots for your long treks (I am very familiar with these long public walks as this is how I hunt) you can wear a highly absorbent sweat wicking synthetic sock on your walk in and once you reach your chosen destination change to a merino wool sock. Not a low percentage merino wool blend that a lot companies try to pass of as merino socks. Rubber boots are fast and easy to take off and put back on, so swapping socks doesn't even take a minute.

16. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good call, I'll give that a shot for sure. I will prob end up sticking with a 1000g rubber boot, if super cold I'll just wear my danners. Heading to cabelas this weekend to try some on. I should just bring cash and leave my wallet at home, every trip to cabelas my wallet crys haha.

17. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  18. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have both and prefer the mucks. Ditto on the bigger sizes for thicker socks. I've always wondered about those extra over the boot insulators, can't think of their name. Anybody ever try them. Read my mind you know what I'am talking about.

19. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are two types of over the boot insulators that I know about. arctic shield and boot blankets. My son-in-law had the Arctic Shield and according to him, they didn't work at all.

Blessings. .........Pastorjim