Early Season Deer Patterns

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sarge03, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Sarge03

Sarge03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying something new this year and hunting a new area. I've had cams set up since May and seeing a few bucks that may have potential. The area I'm hunting is along a MAJOR scrape and rub line that I found last year.

However, I don't know where to put my hang on stand... I've always heard, during early season, deer are moving from feed to bedding in the morning and from bedding to feed in the evening.

Right now, the deer are bedding in the open field. The field is really tall grass now, about 3' tall and very thick grass. But I don't think they continue to bed there during late season.

The west, north, and east sides of the field are all surrounded by hardwoods that produce tons of acorns and with the rain we had the last two years down here in Texas, we should have an great red and white oak acorn crop. The yellow dots indicate the major scrape and rub line.

Where would you put the hang on stand and why? When would you hunt this spot, depending on wind and time?

[​IMG]

2. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in IL in Oct we get a lot of South Winds...So during the first couple weeks I would sit where the furthest NE yellow line is... kind of observe from a bit of a distance, sneak in and out from that North rd. In late oct. probable keep moving myself down the East side wooded edge as the winds turn West/North ... and by November you should have a better idea of where they are coming out of the field.

3. Sarge03

Sarge03 Newb

Dislikes Received:

4. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I'd say you are correct if the food is to the north the wind would be blowing right up to em in the morning as they are coming down... I would try to catch em in the morning by setting up somewhere in the NW corner of the map in that thicker timber just west of the last yellow line and hope that they follow that rub line on their way back to the bed. Bigger bucks will probably stay a bit in the timber to hide even in low light so if you're 20 to 40 yards in you will maybe get to see em if not kill one.

5. Sarge03

Sarge03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like that idea, but just didn't know about having two stands that close together and now having two access points. More scent and traffic and I figured I would be more likely to be busted if coming in from different directions. Maybe not.

I figured I'd give you all a better map of the area. [​IMG]

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd find a deer trail/pinch point somewhere between that creek and rub line. Setup a mock scrape to help divert them closer to where you need them to be.

7. Crossm2000

Crossm2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Out it closer to the 4 wheeler trail because the deer would be used to some noise there