What do you do with carp?

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by AFoster, Jun 27, 2011.

1. bigdamnbiker

bigdamnbiker Newb

Dislikes Received:
  2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Grass Carp are excellent eating. The Y-bones are large enough to take out with no problem. Smoke them in five-10 pound chunks.

German Carp have tiny bones which have to either be pressure cooked or scored and crispy fried. I usually feed them to the alligators, turtles and catfish. Cut them in half first so they will sink. They also make pretty good trotline, jug, or limbline baits. As a kid I ran trotlines for my summer income and always caught just enough carp to keep me in bait. I did pretty well with them. Of course shad works much better.

The best plan is to find a farmer who wants to plow them under, but that only works during crop prep time. You may ask a local fertilizer mill if they can use them but they probably need very large quantities.

3. terry2012

terry2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    we just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your posr for
    more soon.

4. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Carp in breadcrumbs with horseradish cream

Prep time:
    10 min
    Cook time:
    10 min
    Serves:

Tasty crisp fillets of carp are accompanied by a creamy horseradish sauce in this easy dinner dish from Eva Michalik

Ingredients

For the carp

4 fillets of carp
    flour, for dusting
    1 egg, beaten
    breadcrumbs, for coating
    vegetable oil, for frying

For the horseradish cream

fresh horseradish, grated
    soured cream

To serve

lemon wedges
    pickled red cabbage

Conversion Calculator
    Method
    1. For the carp: coat the fillets in seasoned flour, then dip into the beaten egg and finish with a coating of breadcrumbs, pressing the fish firmly into the crumbs.

2. Heat a frying pan and add the oil, then fry the fillets until golden on both sides and cooked through (2-3 minutes per side).

3. For the horseradish cream: mix together the grated horseradish and soured cream. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Serve the carp with a dollop of horseradish sauce, some lemon wedges and pickled red cabbage.

5. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey a new idea... pile them up on the edge of a woods where you are having coyote problems and wait. At night with a redlight if possible and legal and I bet the shooting will be awesome.

6. Archie

Archie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I was a kid, my uncle would let us shoot them out of his ponds and then he would feed them to his hogs.

7. BarometerBilly

BarometerBilly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What do they do with the turtles? Do they eat them??

8. outdoorsman24/7

outdoorsman24/7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a suggestion you can only eat so many carp and only need so much for bait so what to do with the rest? You don't need to trap the coyotes you can simply just use them to feed the coyotes so the leave the fawn and juvenile turkey alone. This could help keep the turkey and deer at a steady number for all of us outdoorsman. And you can also cut there stomachs so they sink and this will feed a lot of your bottom feeders like catfish improving there size. Since it seems like you like cat fish that's one way to use ur carp to increase the size of the cats keep them in one area and fill your freezer full of some delicious cats. Your fish could always go along way to feed the homeless and those who don't have a meal to eat. You can help out a whole lot by just harvesting these fish who really don't have any natural predators and suck the nutrients and small bacteria in your lakes and rivers that bait fish and fish fry rely on to survive. And your bigger game fish rely on them to survive so you can see how these fish just throw off the entire ecosystem in ur lakes and rivers

9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sell them to the hmongs that are always fishing where I bowfish.

10. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feed them to the cats that live in our back yard.

11. spec

spec Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know this thread is a little dated
    But
    Carp season is on in MN so I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth...
    I smoke up about 600# per year some bone in and scales on...some filleted and rubbed...
    Some of the heads and guts end up in a few Gardens...Some end up in the freezer to be used crawdad and catfish bait
    Some get gutted and put through my meat grinder (WHEN THE WIFE'S NOT HOME) for the chickens
    I have even coarse ground them in the meat grinder and traded them for fresh trout to the local trout farmer...But That is a outside job and a dedicated meat grinder...You can't get the smell out of it...Always smells fishy
    Now I heard of a guy that built a floating platform out of Styrofoam and an old pallet. He piles the pallet full of Carp to rot... within a couple of days the Carp are covered in maggots...The maggots fall off into the water and feeds the Panfish , Bass etc...
    I'm sure it stinks to high heaven
    They say in less than a week it's just bones
    Personally, I think this idea is Ingenious, taking a destructive invasive species, and turning it into food for the indigenous fishes

12. benkharr

benkharr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed

13. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will eat that **** if you let me. Id fish for it too everyday if I had some around me. I am SICK of NOT catching anything, I just want to catch more frogs or trout or carp, I don't care! Ill eat those and snakes and squirrels!

14. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fried carp balls. Google the recipe. They are tasty.

15. cwade3085

cwade3085 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Fertilizer usually for us. There has been a prey bird rehab place around asking for people's fish they have shot on Craigslist. Our local university wildlife department has sat up a fish fry at one of the tournaments before with the fish that was shot also.