New To Bow Hunting

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by SammiJade, Jul 4, 2015.

1. SammiJade

SammiJade Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from upstate New York, and no one in my family hunts. I have always wanted to learn how to properly bow hunt; it seems interesting and is a great survival tool to have. I have no one to teach me anything about bow hunting, or anything to do with a bow.
    I have tried to research the Internet for several different types of bows and found that the general consensus is that compound bows are better for hunting; but I feel that just reading a few dozen articles that claim to be accurate may just be a bit too easy.
    I would love any and all advice that anyone has to offer for me!

2. newyork103

newyork103 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to the forum and best advise is to take a hunter safety course by you im too in ny state and they offer a Bow Hunter course to which youll need to have to hunt big game in NY state so try them first

3. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    welcome aboard

4. SammiJade

SammiJade Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like a good place to start. Thank you, I will definitely start looking around for one. I live in an urban area, so it'll take some looking; but I'm sure I can find one. :)

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site!
    If you have a local bow shop near you, go there and have them measure your draw length. Once done, shoot a few bows and see what feels best to you. Ask to try different releases and see what you are most comfortable with. From there you can look at different sights and rests and other accessories. Good Luck to you!

6. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    for hunting.. what you read is right... compound bow is the way to go ... more compact, so wont hang up on branches and brush going in and out, also less room needed to get the shot off... let off at full draw, so your not trying to hold back 50-70 lbs while trying to aim... with proper sites and rest, easier to aim... do what sharpeyesam said above... find a bow shop or two and try different bows and reliece styles, and find what feels best to you... don't take someone elses advice about what bow is best, with todays tech, they all are good, it's what you like, not someone elses idea of whats best... then search this site and other bow forums, lots of good info out there about hunting and shooting... then try to find someone close to mentor you... he can teach/show you a lot about your local areas to hunt and how to do it.... finally.. if your bow shop has a pro that offers lessons... take a couple lessons to learn proper from and stuff... lot easier to learn it right the first time then to relearn later to correct bad habits..

oh... and welcome :)

7. SammiJade

SammiJade Newb

Dislikes Received:
    @Sharpeyesam and @Smoke awesome advice, I really appreciate the advice! I will definitely have a look around to see where a close and nice shop is. I really think that I can benefit from having expert advice and I'm sure that it'll be better to buy in a shop rather than online; which is what I was thinking I would have to end up doing. I will also have to figure out how I am going to see properly since I have bifocal lenses for glasses and I heard that they can cause problems for this sort of thing.

Thanks everyone for the welcome too! :D

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sammi :wave:
    Upstate guy here (hunt mostly Steuben County, live in Chemung). Great advice given above...

9. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome and good luck!

10. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum good luck with archery/bowhunting! It is addictive!!

If you don't have friends/family that bowhunt, I would say to join a local archery club. The members there should be helpful and you might find a hunting partner or someone who will take you under their wing to guide you. Just remember that their is a difference between target shooting and bowhunting though. The basics are the same, but target shooters tend to have lighter draw weights, longer stabilizers, ect. Take shooting advice from anyone who knows what they are talking about, but try and find someone who bow hunts or has a hunting set up.

If no archery club, then hang out at your local archery pro shop a bit and shoot as many bows as you can. In most cases, the owner/employee(s) know a lot about bows and such and you can learn a lot.

Do not let anyone tell you that such and such maker is the only way to go. Shoot as many bows as you can and YOU figure out what bow fits YOU. A good pro shop owner won't try and sell you on a certain bow, but rather have you try as many bows as you want. PSE, Hoyt, Bowtech, Matthews, ect.. all great bow makers.

Good luck to you!

11. Noel8998

Noel8998 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! Good luck this year. I am in a similar boat with being new to bow hunting, great advice :)

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site Sammi! :tu:

13. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! I was in the exact same position about 10 years ago that you are in now. I wanted to get into it but didn't know a single person that hunted. I found a few different forums and started asking a ton of questions. I visited several shops and gained a lot of knowledge from some of the locals and purchased my first bow. After a year of almost daily practice I finally was comfortable with the thought of actually hunting. Through these forums I actually became friends with a few guys that were local to me and they were with me to recover my first deer my second year hunting. Take advantage of all the resources you have available to you and don't be afraid to ask any questions. Everyone was in a similar position at some point! Good luck and keep us all posted on how you are doing!

14. mandosound

mandosound Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of terrific advice. Certainly remember to practice, practice, practice. Have fun shooting, building muscle memory in prepping yourself. If you do not practice and prepare yourself with shooting you will find it even more difficult when that adrenaline starts pumping with a deer standing in front of you. Sounds stupid, but the biggest issue I tend to have... Remember to breathe. I tend to hold my breathe and screws me up. Haha

Good Luck!

15. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site and the addiction. There are some great articles on here for a newbie (and experienced) archer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  17. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome!

18. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum. You will learn a lot from the people on here.