Please explain the confederate flag loyalty to me

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing against the Northerners at all.... Lol. Most Northerners are like Southerners in a way. We see Yankees as you see Hicks in a way, Yankees are rude, talk weird, no common sense, city slickers. I doubt there are very few if any Yankees on Bowhunting.com. You may not believe it, but they are educated people in the South as well....lol. We take just as much pride in that and we can still make Moonshine believe it or not.

Sent from my XT830C

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is not going to end with just the "confederate flag" Now we are talking about statues, memorials, stickers, coffee cups, monopoly money, etc. etc. etc. I seems that the only thing that will satisfy this insatiable desire to do something after this maniac killed those innocent people is to eradicate every reference to a very important part of "American" history. It was an extremely painful period for all parties involved but through the darkness of that 4 year period there emerged a nation that became the greatest nation on earth. I said greatest nation, not perfect nation. We should not forget the struggles and trials of that period but rather embrace them as part of the heritage of this great nation. Those struggles mean different things to different people. We are an amalgamation of all the experiences that we have had and if we forget history then we become destined to repeat it.

This is getting a little bit silly. Racists will exist regardless of flying a flag. There are racist african-americans, there are racists white people, there are racists native americans, there are racists muslims, there are racist Japanese. In my opinion the atrocities perpetrated upon the native americans probably outweigh what occurred to african americans, why don't we just give back all of the lands that had been settled by native americans before rounding them up, imprisoning them and slaughtering them. There are all kinds of examples of oppressive behaviour that we can point to in our history but the slavery issue gets all the oxygen. We are all hypocrites when it comes down to it so everyone come down off your high horses and lets all kneel at the foot of the cross togther. We own our history, embrace it, learn from it and be better because of it moving forward. It has made us what we are today.

3. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, your 100% correct. It won't stop there....liberals are destroying this country. Well actually they already have. The sad part is all this flag blaming has nothing to do with some idiot killing people. The blame goes to anything but the problem.

Sent from my XT830C

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People are forgetting that the government buildings that are displaying the flag belong to the citizens of the state. The citizens of those states are endowed with self determination and the governments of those states derive their powers from the consent of the governed.

Sound familiar?

5. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The actual confederate battle flag, which is in question at the SC state house, the state in which I live and grew up in, was designed in order for the generals to be able to spot their troops on the battlefield. Hence the name confederate battle flag.

Me personally, who is not racist, in fact fought side by side with blacks, white, Hispanic, and an Asian, feel like that this flag represents the 10th amendment. Before the war, the government was small and had little power. The power came from the states and its people. The government was intended to be governed by the people for the people, not the people governed by the government for the government. The states actually governed themselves, by the people.

The federal government wanted power over the states and started impeding on the states rights to govern themselves. The southern states did not want that to happen so war broke out. That's why the south called it the war of northern aggression.

In history books, you will learn that the north wanted to free slaves and the south wanted to keep slaves. I am sure for some that was the case, but the reality was that the war was over states rights. It is more honorable for the federal government to call the war the civil war, and that it was to abolish slavery, not to prosper from the economics of the south.

So to me, it means standing up for our rights as a state from a tyrannical government, which is what we have today. Feel free to read the 10th amendment.

I have to admit that hate groups used the flag for their own agendas, but that is not the meaning of the flag. I am proud my state stood up to the government, it is part of our history. We lost the war, but it feels good to know there was a time people stood up for what they believe in.

I will not get into a debate on this, only answered the question asked.

Thanks and Y'ALL have a good deer season this year.

6. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    The most accurate post in this thread.

Sent from my XT830C

7. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Proud a state stood up to keep slaves, and how many men died again? That makes you "proud".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you read his post? There were MANY honorable men that fought for the Confederacy. On the flip side there were some terribly racist bastards as well. The same could be said for the Northern army.

We were a racist nation through and through and the people in the north need to stop believing or perpetuating the idea they were living in some utopian society free of slaves and butterflies when the Civil War came to be. It is beyond obnoxious and wholly inaccurate.

9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Man there are some seriously insulting posts on here toward many great states and cultures of people. Many of those rednecks that you mock have lost their lives defending this country. I can't believe how many closet elitists have emerged within this thread. It is bs.

10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's not my point, being proud of one of the darkest times in our history is something I can't rap my head around.

Yes many men have sacrificed from all over the USA.

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Should Union soldiers families and communities be proud of their actions during the Civil War? Their selfless actions where they willingly signed up to go to war to battle to free the slaves? I am sure all the northern non racist soldiers went to bed with the Holy Bible and a picture of a newly freed slave resting by their bedside every night they spent in the field.

12. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

So your point is to comment on a comment that you didn't read?

I said I was not going to debate this but I will defend my character and morals.

I said I was proud of South Carolina because it stood against the government when it impeded on its state rights. I don't really care what you learned in school about the Civil War, but there is a lot of American history that has been distorted. There are a lot of myths out there that are taken to be true but are simply wrong. The cause of the Civil War is one of those myths.

Again, I am proud of my state who stepped up to the federal government to protect the 10th amendment and the states right.

I am not proud of slavery, I am not proud people in my state owned slaves, but I am proud of my state for fighting back.

And for the record, the common stereotype of southerners being racist rednecks is just that, a stereotype. I fought in Iraq along side blacks who I still call brother today. One was actually from Gambia, my closest friend.

Have a good evening sir!

13. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am not proud of either side in the civil war, ignorance ran deep on both sides of the boarders. I am also not stating how proud I am the way it turned out. To say the south only wanted to protect their states rights is bs, just as much bs as the north stating it was about freeing slaves.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  14. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

If only SC would have stood up for those who's rights were being impeded on. Dude they are not "blacks", they are men.

15. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stated in my post that I am sure there were those who fought to keep/abolish slavery. I did not ever say that the war did not include slavery at all. And I agree blacks are men just like you and me. Down here we call them black and they call us white. That is just the way the culture is here. Here, its not offensive. They say blacks in the news all the time. Read the signs; Black Lives Matter? They call themselves black. I don't have time to argue with you and I wont.

I am done with this thread. I answered the question asked as someone who is knowing from first hand of what is going on in SC... I live here...

Everyone, have a good evening, I will see Y'ALL on the huntin' side

16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing, no malice or hate here with me, just trying to understand.

17. Bawanajim

Bawanajim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a little side note to you civil war experts.

Not the north nor the south, either one had a majority of their citizens that supported their sides positions on the war. In many cases families were divided, some folks were shunned, and those divisions were wide spread and many times economics were the dividing points.

War was hell, and it still is,

18. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely, money was the driving force.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The underground railroad ran north to freedom, how do you explain that away?

20. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's already been explained. The Northern states transitioned to a more industrial economy, and ultimately became less dependent upon slaves. The South remained highly agricultural, and thus were more dependent upon slavery for achieving economic goals. The North fighting to abolish slavery wasn't out of the good of their hearts, but rather to cripple those in the south. Amazed that people who claim to be smarter have such a tough time realizing something so simple.