Have you ever accidently broke a game law?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sota, Jun 12, 2015.

1. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting rabbits while groundhog hunting.

2. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The rules I break are generally on purpose. :ninja:

But I did honestly hunt almost an entire year with the previous seasons license in my pack. I was cleaning some papers on my desk and found my hunting license...that's odd, my license is in my pack, how can it be here?

3. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went hunting with a friend of mine who was the game warden for the area we were hunting. I was staying at his house because I didn't live near the area. Drove up into the mountains that morning and when we got out of the truck, "He" realized that he left his tags at home. Well.........we went hunting anyway. Me? I never make a mistake and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can keep it in your pocket, pack, etc., now in PA.

5. Speed Goat

Speed Goat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did, and when I realized what I did, it tore me up for weeks. I still don't even know how it happened. At the time, my hunting partner offered to help me "cover" things up. That was a testament to his loyalty, but I knew I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't call the game warden and expose what happened. The game warden came out and thought at first I had some angle for turning myself in (like some witness would eventually turn me in. But that wasn't likely given the situation). But as we talked I think he realized how sincere I was because he could have written me a ticket that would have taken my hunting privileges, but he wrote me for a much less serious offense and I paid my fine on the spot. A week after I got home I wrote him a thank you letter for being so professional and compassionate. Besides my wife, my hunting partner and that game warden, I don't talk about it. This is as close as I'll ever come just due to sheer embarrassment. But it also taught me a valuable lesson, so there was a silver lining. .

6. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    Not an accidental breaking of the laws, but make it look like.

A back-tag trick, is to take an old ratty back-tag holder with a torn off pin.
    Pin the pin on your outer most jacket, then put your torn off back-tag in your pocket.
    If stopped, just tell the warden "sorry, it JUST torn off, and it's here in my pocket".

I'm not saying, it will work for you, but it has worked in the past!
    MOBU

7. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's good, now if they only allow Sunday hunting. Unfortunately I stopped hunting PA because it was costing me too much and the deer herd in the area I hunt has suffered severely from people not properly managing the deer around us.

EDIT: Oh yeah...I just read in another thread that reminded me, we forgot to fill out the hunting party roster log (for PA) that you had to post to your door while out hunting big game. I think it was eliminated last year but yet another ridiculous thing PA was doing.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've forgotten my tags and license on a few occasions. Also on my property I don't wear the orange required when early muzzle loader season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot about youth gun weekend last year and headed out with no orange on. It was private land, but all the neighbors hunt too. I spotted a neighbor kid about 200 yards away in his tree and got the heck out...mostly for my safety!

10. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have mentioned I have also walked a few yards across property lines a few yards to retrieve game without asking, but have also known the neighbors for years and years. Biggest thing I can think of is during WI few years of "earn a buck" I happened to stumble upon a doe laying in the ditch near death after being hit by a car. Since the only weapon I had on me was my bow I put her down and registered her and got my buck tag. Told the story to a game warden this spring at a NWTF banquet and he said I hadn't done anything wrong which made me feel better.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deny, Deny, Deny :)

We have a couple managed trout streams here in Missouri. One in particular has 3 different zones and each zones, you can only use a particular style of fly, lure, or bait. I looked at a sign and read it as I could use salmon eggs, but in reality the sign prohibited them. I caught half a dozen fish. All catch and release, until some elderly lady came up to me and asked if I knew it was illegal bait in that zone. I said no, I just read it on the sign. She said go take another look. So, I did. I was pretty embarrassed, apologized to every fishing in that zone. I tied on a spinner and went back to fishing.

12. Elliot B

Elliot B Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I may have forgotten to bring my parent on our own property last year. Oops

13. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i saw a drury outdoor videos of eric buthon where he killed his big 8 pointer with a rage 2 blade in mn. 2 months ago when i went to cabelas and a customer was looking for rage crossbow heads. the worker told him that the rage 2 blades are illigal in mn because cut diameter is 2+ instead of 2. i guess that means the head is over 2 inches.

14. OzarkLuke

OzarkLuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    more than once I have forgot a pen so couldnt fill out the deer tag until I got back to the truck.

15. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only if the statute of limitations is in effect!

16. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have forgotten my tags in the car many many times and I don't ever put it on my back. I pay too much for the jackets to put poke holes in it. Ive also walked a few yards onto the neighbors land who to retrieve a dead deer.

17. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At least here, shooting a coyote requires a hunting license that is separate from a deer license. But I've seen lots of videos where people grease a coyote while deer hunting. I'd guess the majority of yotes are shot illegally.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh that is horrible.:evilgrin:

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rage extremes are illegal in Minnesota not the rest of Rage's heads. Kinda shocked a Cabela's employee knew the rules and said something, they usually just want to make the sale and sign you up for the credit card.

20. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its probally best to call rage hq about the 2 blade whether its a 2inch or a tiny over 2 inches