New VA Rules

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by sheddinva, Jun 4, 2015.

1. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So we found out today that the new rules for VA hunting include no deer scents to attract deer. We already couldn't bait with any type of food or mineral as many states are allowed to do but now we can't even use a scent to help bring them in. We also used to be able to shoot a bear with one bear tag on our big game tags but they are taking that away, keeping the price the same, but making us pay $25 for a bear tag that you most likely won't get to fill because the season comes and goes so often that you only seem to see them on the off weeks. As you would expect, most of us are pretty annoyed but I wanted to see yalls thoughts. I know the scents are supposedly spreading diseases but I don't really know how much I believe all of that. Any other states doing this?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deer are social animals. They gather and come into contact with each other all the time, regardless of whether or not hunters are using mineral sites, bait stations or scent attractants. We have CWD in an area here in Missouri, and they believe it was spread from the captive deer to the free range deer by direct contact through the fence. Just goes to show that there is really no way to stop it once it's started, they are going to come into contact with each other no matter what precautions they try and regulate. I understand extreme regulations and precautions being taken in areas they know are affected, but I just don't think it's necessary to do that everywhere.

3. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I feel like VA has some of the strictest rules. We can shoot more deer than a lot of places but aside from that everything seems to be illegal

4. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I could see a bait ban someday in Kentucky. But really what sense does it make. Are you going to stop deer from eating under the same oak, or drinking from the same mud hole?

5. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah we can't even use acorns as bait unless we are hunting under an oak. If they catch you with acorns or any type of food source that isn't natural to your specific spot its illegal.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sheddingva,
    Hey brother whats the source of the information? I just checked the web site and the new regulations have not posted yet. The bear tag sucks but typical Virginia to bleed money outta you.

7. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't found where it said it passed but starcitywhitetails.com posted about it and said they had seen or heard where it had actually passed. I'm hoping it to be false but I guess we will find out next month.

8. doeslayer

doeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope not. The bear population is already out of control and if it wasn't for deer hunters it would be even worse. Don't know many people that would purchase a bear tag

9. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like it did pass but is only $20 for the bear tag. It's ridiculous that the other tags didn't go down but they even say it in the article below that this will be them extra cash to improve bear habitat. Seems to me the habitat is pretty good since there are hundreds more each year. With fewer licenses out there now there will be even more bears killing the deer and turkeys.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/outdo...cle_e07da04f-716f-5346-b2f4-d54aaf8a4bc0.html

10. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is crazy stuff. We can't bait in Maryland either, but cover scents and attractant scents are legal still. However, Maryland is so over populated with deer, I'm surprised they don't allow baiting too. We have 1 buck, 8 doe tags with regular license (unlimited does in certain counties) and you purchase a bonus buck for $10. Bear tags are completely seperate, but Maryland doesn't have that many bears that I know of and the season for them is very short.

11. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Wow just read that article.. That suxes! 150 for non-residents. So now for me it would be :

111+86+31+150 = 378 :rant:

It is now officially cheaper for me to buy a license in Canada to hunt bear than Virginia. Simply ridiculous. Guess I am gonna have to buy property up there and stop buying licenses and use landowner tags. :tu:

12. doeslayer

doeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks to me like this would be against the law. They've technically raised the license prices which can only be done every 5 years. Fine line I know. I wish they would separate everything then. I would buy turkey tags and deer hunt the Midwest

13. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Right, if you are taking away tags you should also be lowering the cost but oh well. I'd hate to not buy a bear tag and have a 500 pounder walk by so I guess I will just pay several hundred more dollars throughout my life hoping to get a monster while usually eating tags due to the crazy bear seasons we have. Everyone I know tends to see them on the weeks they are out of season but never when they are in.

14. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you can still use scents in VA, the rule is for natural scents, i.e. using the hocks of a killed buck or doe, orbital secretions you can buy, things like that. You should still be able to use synthetic products, just not the stuff pulled from a live deer.

15. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I realized that a little later. Not as bad now but I still preferred to save it from does or bucks that I had previously killed that season so I guess I will just buy more stuff now.

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well that makes sense.

17. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    The thing that fires me up a little is the dog hunters pushed this. In the county we hunt in you can't use dogs nor can you bait. So the only option you have is for one to stumble by. I say stumble by because they make big circles and may only come through once a week or once a month. Oh well!

18. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya, next it will be turkey hunters wanting their own tags but the deer prices will stay the same and the licenses will be up to $150-$200. I just wish we could hunt public lands on sundays instead of just private lands

19. m@rinebowhunter

m@rinebowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What when did this happen? I hunt VA and have always used scents or scent drags to attract deer. I'm not really sure if they work but I still want the choice. This is outrageous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. sheddinva

Dislikes Received:
    Recently, it should be posted on the VDGIF site in July I would think. Apparently you can still use synthetic scents and attractants just not real or fresh doe pee. Seems weird if you shoot the deer yourself then you know that deer was peeing in the area you hunt anyway so I'm not sure what the big deal is there.