Have you replaced beef with venision? Or would you?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, May 4, 2015.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We never buy beef. My wife loves wild game as much as I do. The only thing we really ever buy is some chicken. I would raise those myself too if my psycho dogs wouldn't destroy them.

2. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my house we love deer meat. If I had it my way we would eat deer meat over beef it's better for you. I know last year I made a deer meat loaf and I didn't think the kids would like it I was way way wrong I had to fight then for it lol. And it was the first time they ate deer meat they love it. Still working on the best way to cook deer steak but I'm getting there lol

3. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My wife doesn't eat red meat. I'm about 50/50 beef and venison. I usually give a lot of venison to friends who don't hunt too.

4. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What's this beef stuff you speak of :)

We prefer eating what we shoot/catch (deer, turkey, fish, frogs, etc.) even though it costs more than the free beef/pork that we could get.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get a lot of time to hunt and process as much venison as I use to or would like. I still love a good steak but (and maybe this is just me) a lot of the steaks and burger I get at the store tastes like crap. I have been accusing my local grocers of buying horse meat for the last few years.

I have plans in the works in the near future to start handling a few head of grass fed beef under holistic management on our cover crops and native grassland that's not good for row crop. Pretty sure I'm going to be using registered Red Poll cattle.

6. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ground beef is out and has been replaced with venison. As have other cuts of beef. However, I still enjoy a nice ribeye, or Porterhouse throughout the year. I don't think I will ever give up eating steak, I enjoy it to much.

7. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Venison is a Supplement at my house but we have wild pork to so Beef is kinda a 3rd of our protien intake.

8. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I replaced beef with venison a few years ago. I never had to buy beef for anything...then my girlfriend came along and she doesn't eat venison. It's a mind over matter thing for her. She likes it, but it grosses her out and she'll only eat it in certain things like pot roast or chili. Quite aggravating, really, because she buys beef and gets terrible cuts for steaks so its a waste. But hey...with women come sacrifices. And she lets me hunt whenever I want for the most part (about 5 nights a week) so I don't do much complaining.

9. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely in addition to at my house. I have no desire to replace beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How I would I love to:

Five years ago I was close I tagged 6 in one year. Then bad winters and loss of CRP lead to the loss of what ND called concurrent tags, a tag used when your primary tag was filled. Last year I never got either a gun, or a muzzleloader tag and only hardly filled my bow tag.

My wife is dreaming and praying for the census to go back up so we eat real meat as she calls it and we raise angus beef for the freezer.
    PSR

11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I occasionally will eat a beef steak at the restaurant or grill it myself. Otherwise my family eats wild game or turkey. We do not care for ground beef.

12. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We do our best to replace beef.

13. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been wanting to replace beef with venison but the wife can't get the belly to eat venison I don't what it is but like I told here if you can menudo than you shouldn't a problem eating venison.

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Other than the occasional pack of higher fat ground beef my ex used to buy when making a venison/beef meatloaf, I have not purchased beef for home use during my adult life. It's all venison. I'll gladly enjoy a beef steak or burger when out at a restaurant but I don't buy it for home.

15. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've replaced Beef with elk in almost everything I cook, the family loves it.

16. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm all for getting anything meat thats not bought in the store, it's truely fresh, organic, and natural. :bow:

17. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not totally but wish we could.We eat mostly domestic rabbit(that we raise for meat)or chicken(raised by us).We do eat a lot of venison though.

18. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is it just me or has the quality of beef slipped in the last couple of years? Ground beef especially? I buy very little pork and beef throughout the year. We mainly eat chicken, turkey and wildgame.

19. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    never buy beef anymore we live on deer and pork(wild hogs if possible). If I eat beef it'll be from a local farmer or i'll raise my own.

20. ThomasN

ThomasN Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to ground meat in things like tacos or meatloaf then we only use venison but for burgers and steaks we still choose beef.