Trail Cam Thefts?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Bryan Jeffrey, May 2, 2015.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is it comment for trail cams to get stolen? I just bought my first trail cam. and i hung it 4 miles into the woods. next to a spot that i found some large blackbear tracks. its set about 5' high with nothing holding it there aside from webbing and a plastic clip. and i didnt even think about thiefs. but after seeing a couple posts. I am getting a little concerned. Is it actually a common problem. Iv seen trail cams and it didnt cross my mind. i just wave for the camera.

2. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of low lives out there. I have heard of plenty that have gotten stolen with locks on them, bolted to the tree, chained, etc. I would go back and lock it, and hang it higher.

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had one stolen few years back 300' from my parents farm place. Mile from any road.

4. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    what a shame. i dont understand why any hunter or hiker would want to do that. everyone is out there just to enjoy themselves... but yea grizzly1530 i dont have any way of locking it right now.

5. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After reading many trail cam theft threads it seems locks are easy to break and cams are stolen a lot with them. A lock will maybe cut down on a handful of thefts but determined people will return with a bolt cutter/ hack saw /crowbar. The best thing to do would be to hang it off the ground 12 ft plus with a python lock on it and angle it down with a pre-cut block or branch shoved behind it. Maybe bring a set of climbing sticks with you back in the woods if possible. Luckily I haven't had any stolen yet but the day will come I'm sure.

Maybe your camera has a built in hole for one of these? Easy to cut through but will stop some d bags from taking it, also can be used high in tree pretty easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8...F8&qid=1430622088&sr=8-2&keywords=python+lock

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ALL my cameras are locked but the only thing locks do is to keep an honest man honest. If someone wants it bad enough they will find a way. It's sad to think that other outdoorsman would do that to each other but it happens.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

7. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    well this morning i(actually my friend) set the cam about 12' up the tree. no big game came threw last night, but thats not a surprise. lots of dirtbikes in the area on the weekends. we will see what we get during the week.
    PRMS0032.jpg PRMS0032.jpg

8. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    well this morning i(actually my friend) set the cam about 12' up the tree. no big game came threw last night, but thats not a surprise. lots of dirtbikes in the area on the weekends. we will see what we get during the week.
    View attachment 58392 not sure what the hell this is, but its the first animal i got with my cam that wasnt a test using my dog and his ball.

9. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a fox

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you hung it high. I hang all mine high now. 10-12 feet in most cases now. I had 3 stolen last year.

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just had one of my G42 Stealthcams stolen last week. I ran off some mushroom hunters earlier in the week, I expect it was those two wankers but could have been anyone I guess. It was setup on a feeder too. I just had it strapped to the tree, never had one stolen from that property until now.
    I hope they choke on it, bastages...:rant:

12. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    what does the fox say?

13. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I've been lucky so far. Two years on public land and no losses. I have a few pictures of people who have spotted them. The biggest problem was this one bear that has knocked one around and broke the strap slot.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    During
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

14. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started running cameras in 2006, and have had 2 stolen. Both from private grounds, and both where locked up. I have certain properties I feel are much more secure then others. My nicer/newer cameras go there, and my older/cheaper one's go to the other properties.

15. chilly2031

chilly2031 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I heard there is a camera that loads the pics directly to your phone and has a gps tracker in case it's stolen. It is 800 bucks but the satisfaction of nailing a crook might be worth it. I have trackers on all my atv's and utvs.

16. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Know a guy that has one of these camera set-ups. Very expensive! 1st the camera is expensive to purchase and then it is expensive every month. Its like havening another cell phone line, and when you go over a certain number of pictures, it gets really expensive.

17. chilly2031

chilly2031 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow hadn't heard that part but it makes sense. Pics have to upload to a server and be downloaded to your phone so I'm sure it's a lot of data

18. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ironically I found a trailcam and a climber stand together in the middle of the woods.

Decided to check it out and leave it there! Maybe I'll run into the person when season comes back in in sept

19. chilly2031

chilly2031 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You know I came across a climber stand today on a state wildlife management preserve while turkey hunting this morning. That guys is brave. Lol

20. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been running trail cameras since 2005 and have been mainly all on one property. There's a couple trees that I have had cameras on year after year, all year long. I have periodically taken them elsewhere but since losing my other property 2 years ago, I've been restricted to hunting the same property I started hunting in 2004. It's a whopping 7 acres of woods, but it is a part of a 50 acre wood lot. I have upgraded cameras along the way and I finally had my first one stolen the other day. Luckily, it was a Moultrie 900i that I've run for over two years and it was on its last leg but it still drives me crazy. I'm going to get a couple python locks just to keep the honest man honest. I'm going to experiment with hanging them higher as well. I'm hoping I don't lose anymore. I have 2 new Cuddebacks and a Bushnell Aggressor that I would be pissed off about if I lost. My "cheap" cameras, I wouldn't care as much about.