first timer

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by theback4, Apr 21, 2015.

1. theback4

theback4 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So this year is the first year i will be turkey hunting. I have a Wisconsin zone 3 tag for time period D( may 6-12). I will be hunting a friend's land, and he and his dad will be calling for me. From what I understand, the turkeys spend most of their time on an adjoining property, and the successes my friend and his family have had in previous years are mostly from calling birds onto their property. I have a choice between using a bow or a gun, and I am leaning towards a gun because I want to be able to capitalize on any chance a bird gives us. What can I do to maximize my chances, considering I only have one weekend to fill my tag? I highly doubt I will get a chance to hunt a weekday.

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never hunted turkeys but in your situation, to maximize your chances, I'd listen to the guys that are taking you! They seem to know the property and how the turkeys react.

3. Bowhunter_vargas

Bowhunter_vargas Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely take your gun if you're only hunting a couple days and have never been. Bowhunting is something that is extremely difficult especially with turkeys and their small killzones. I was fortunate enough to harvest a large tom and a nice jake this year in kansas with my Hoyt Spyder 30

4. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like Vargas said, bow hunting in nature is hard enough. It gets even harder when you try to bow hunt turkeys. A combination of moving small kill zones (2.5" - 3"), and incredibly keen eyesight make it quite a bit more difficult. It is also in really rewarding when pulled off. If I were you go with the gun your first time, and after you get a couple turkeys under your belt, then I would attempt bow hunting. Good luck out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    GO WITH A GUN. Have you patterned the gun? How far do you feel comfortable taking a shot?

BE VERY STILL. As long as you're still, it is amazing how you remain invisible to turkeys.

LISTEN and learn from the wisdom of your friends. HAVE FUN!

6. theback4

theback4 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A very late update (we Hunted the 5th of may) , but we closed out an action packed hunt with a 25 lb tom cruising out at full strut to our multiple hen, 1 tom deke spread. A fantastic experience. As it got light, we saw a nesting hen at 70 yards.35 minutes latr, a hen cameover the hill in front of the blind, cuting and clucking like you wouldnt believe. She noisilly walked in within 1 yard of the blind twice. She left, and an hour later we were getting restless, when without warning the gobbler strutted out. The 20 guage sang within 2 seconds of me knowing the bird was there. It was as exciting of a first turkey hunt as I could have asked for!

7. Moose

Moose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the outcome! I'm already looking forward to this years season!