Job Promotion issue

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MNpurple, Apr 10, 2015.

1. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I interviewed for a position last Fall. One of the people involved in the process told me that they wanted to hire me, but were hoping to hire a minority. (I'm a minority person, but not the right minority.) They did offer me the position in the end, but I turned it down for family reasons.

This brings up another interesting matter. The social progressives will point to me as a woman who has a lower rank, and receives less pay than a man with the same qualifications. But it was absolutely my choice. Don't be misled by statistics. Many women make the same kind of choice I made for family reasons, because that's what makes us happy.

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a bunch of bull**** Craig!! Like Brett said that should be illegal. They can take this PC crap and shove it up their *** in my opinion.

15 years ago when I bought the milk hauling business I put an add in the paper looking for part time help. A lady about 30 years old applied for the job and rode with me in the milk truck to see if she would like it. To my surprise she had one arm and the other was a prosthetic arm. A few days later she called me and asked if she got the job. I said no you didn't get the job and that I'm not going to hire no one now. She then says is it because of my arm or because I'm female? I was put on the spot big time!!! I told her that I had a change of heart and decided not to hire anyone. I wanted to be honest with her and say theres no way possible you can do this job with one arm but I knew where that could get me. Anyhow she threatened me with discrimination and said I will see you in court. I'm thinking holy **** what's going to happen now??? I was nervous as heck!! I contacted a lawyer and he told me in today's screwed up world she does have a leg to stand on even though you did nothing wrong. In the end I never heard from her again thankfully but damn I was nervous.

I know where you work Craig. Stick it out bud which I know you know. Eventually you will get there.

3. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That really sucks. I would maybe understand it if you both scored the same, then going with the female.. but in this case, they can clearly show why you would get the position over her. That sounds like a bad company to work for.

4. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have something that falls in this. I appled to a new job yesterday. I received some surveys I must complete and send back. They were an "Equal Employment Opportunity Survey" one was about my race, one about disability, and one about veterans. They said it is now required. I never heard of that before and now feel that it will most likely mean I wont get the job because of my race (not a minority), no diabilities, and not a veteran. We will see.

5. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That seems odd, as far as I remember the questions about race have always been optional on applications I have completed. There is one area that I usually skip filling out that may hurt me. I never mention that I am a veteran that has been wounded on applications. I know being a veteran may help in some cases, but I am going for jobs that require physical work and I don't want some turd in HR to count me out and make their own assumptions about wounds limiting my work potential, which they don't.

6. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I asked my Dad about it as he has his share in his own company and he never heard of it either. You could mark "decline" - but I always thought those questions were not to be asked. Kind of like prescanning with out meeting?

7. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always wondered if declining to answer did just as much or more harm than just answering.

8. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Upper mgmt jobs are far and away mostly white men where I work.

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think those are a set of 'self disclosure' questions.

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That really blows. They're probably going to be kicking themselves later.