Invisible fence question

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Dogfish, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone used the company invisible fence? We are buying a new home with property and instead of laying wire and all that digging etc and worrying about a wire break. We are leaning towards getting it installed. Reviews look good.

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After living with some guys who have had both options... I (and the owners) prefer the buried wire version. It's much easier to train the pets with visible boundaries ( garden, edge of mowed yard, the street, etc) vs a predetermined radius that has no real boundaries other than being a certain distance from the box. We noticed the pets don't utilize near as much of their usable area as they follow visible boundaries once shocked (i.e. one corner of the driveway shocks him so he avoids the entire driveway).

Both were effective, the wireless was much easier to install... but I felt the buried wire version was easier to train the animals on.

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We would still flag the perimeter / boundaries until they learned where to go. i like the option to be able to say make the garden off limits but the rest of the surrounding area free to roam... my father has the buried line and it just seems to be a pain..

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah just remember it's not an exact shape when things are off limits, it's just a circle radius from wherever you place the boxes/transmitters. They both have their positives... Another plus of the wireless is the fact that if you move you just pack up and leave without added expense/installation at the next place.

I'm interested to hear more peoples feedback on this as I am likely to be in the market for one or the other in the next year or so.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had the wire, though it was a PIA to bury it worked well.

6. Bawanajim

Bawanajim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't buy a ___, that way you can teach your dog where they can and can't go!

7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've only had first hand experience with the invisible type with the transmitter that does a circle pattern. I didn't use it for more than a week, on one setting dog could barely make it around house and by the time got it where had room to go around house he could reach the road. So kinda defeated purpose. If had go do it again would go with the buried wire. But I do know people that have had success with both, the one just didn't work with my yard to well.

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The system I'm looking at is a transmitter but its a little more hi-tech then the 90ft on you get at pet smart.

This system works on GPS along with doggy doors etc and multiple collars. Currently have 2 labs... i plan on getting a 3rd...

9. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had the kind you bury for four years and it works well.

The only flaw is thunderstorms turn it off, but it has an alarm that goes off to let you know.

10. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I gotcha, idk what kind one I got is. Got it at local farm store and didn't have much luck so never really used it. It just did a perimeter but didn't ever work out how house and yard is set up

11. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What system is this? Sounds like something I'd be interested in. Not sure if it would work on my coon hound, but my two labs it would without a doubt.

12. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ill send you the link when i get home

13. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  14. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  15. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Will that system continue to shock regardless how far the dog is from the box? I had a buddy that had a wire in ground system and his dog would just take the shock and blow past it to chase a squirrel, cat etc. because once he got so far away from the wire it would stop shocking. I think it was a short distance to, like 10 feet or so. 10 feet on a wide open running dog was like 2 seconds of shock time. It was something that I think he learned to do. He was fine until there something to chase.

16. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used the buried wire unit for a few years and it worked great. Only problem was the signal must have been induced into the cable TV wire and came into the house via that. There was a poor splice in one of the house cables right next to our dog's private chair. He got zapped one day jumping up on his chair for his daily nap in the sun and never went near that chair again even after we moved it. They are effective.