What brand of white clover to use?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by scouts10, Apr 12, 2015.

1. scouts10

scouts10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have decided to make a few small kill plots of white clover. Now the question is, what brand should I use? I am thinking Imperial Whitetail Clover. Also, what brand of brassicas or turnips should I use?

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IW has always done superb for me.

3. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    +1. Their brassicas are great products too. Tall tine turnips, or winter greens which has turnips, rape, kale, and other brassicas

4. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to keep in mind about IW clover is that they add Berseem clover to the mix. It is an annual clover. It takes about 12 pounds of quality white ladino clover to get a good lush 1 acre clover plot. If 1/3 of that seed is an annual, then you are not getting the results the following year. Probably going to have to reseed some of the plot. That's what happened when I planted IW clover.
    IMO, it's over priced, and there are better options.

5. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I really don't get why so many people like to hate on whitetail institute. They are the gold standard for clover food plots. The berseem clover is there to provide a quick stand and attract deer while the insight clover (which btw is found in zero other food plot company blends) and dwarf alsike develop a root system. The 2nd spring those take over and the berseem fades out. The old standard used to be that it took 2 years to get a clover plot to look really good. The addition of the annual clover makes a really nice first year plot possible. Not to mention the seeds are inoculated and coated so they retain moisture better, which really boosts seedling survivability. The reason you need 12lbs. of a standard white clover per acre is because a higher percentage of them won't survive long enough to be a mature plant. Cost per acre is really not very much more with imperial clover considering you need less. Yea it does cost more, but I don't think there are better options. I've never seen an imperial clover do poorly because of the seed. Soil conditions, drought, or weeds have always been the culprit

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In Northwoods defense he is a seed seller himself so it's a competitive thing as well. He didn't state anything that was wrong, but perhaps in a way to make WI product to appear less than suitable or desirable. I think either clover mix discussed has it's pro's however their is in my opinion a benefit to a mixture such as what WI establishes with the berseem in the short term and then fades out in subsequent years. If you plant such a mix I'd be a fan of the following spring frost seeding more ladino or a clover of choice.

Shoot crimson clover is one of my favorite clovers and it is considered by many an annual due to it's inability to really truly reseed with great results...yet the stuff is awesome. Everything has a use and a purpose and one should be slow to write something off altogether.

7. Northwoods Whitetails

Dislikes Received:
    WI was the gold standard 10 years ago. Now, there are much better options IMO. Annual clovers like Berseem and crimson do have their place, like a plow down crop. They can feed deer in the spring and summer and then feed brassica or grains from the nitrogen they produce when they are plowed under. When I buy clover to plant, I want a good mix of white ladino, not an annual that I have to reseed again a year. I use oats or rye as a cover crop, not annual clovers.
    I have planted it once, it grew and I did have to reseed it again. Not impressed with the price I paid for it.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We re-seed our clover plots nearly every year slightly just to encourage fresh growth and shoots...I don't see anything wrong with this approach if one desires...granted I wouldn't want to do that every year if a clover plot is what I desire (we are talking a dusting of overseed for us usually).

9. Northwoods Whitetails

Dislikes Received:
    We usually mow our clover once or twice a year depending on rain. I make sure the last mowing is near the bow opener for the freshest plot.

10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetail institute is great but I prefer AntlerKing mainly because its a mix of a few different clover and has Chicory. In the event some clover does not make other varieties might. There are lots of blends out there and if you are going to do a few plots maybe they a few different ones and see which one works best for you. No matter what you plat though beside to do a soil test.

11. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I agree blends are better for most food plot situations, for the fact that not every variety will do well in a given plot. It gives you options. WI has addressed this. Their clover product used to be one variety, but now it is a blend of 4 clovers. They also have blends that contain chicory or alfalfa. I have seen some antler king plots that looked really good, but have never planted any myself.