Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by wings435, Apr 10, 2015.

1. wings435

wings435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This piece of property belongs to a friend of mine. It is 80 acres in central Minnesota. The middle is swamp (blue). Either end is woods and brush. The east end of the property is a hill, with the crest about on his property line. There is a cabin (red) and the access road is along the north edge (brown). The access road is shared with the person that owns another 80 acres to the east of this property. Yellow lines are, approximately, trails cut through for hiking/4x4's. Looking for thoughts on improving this property, clearing, food plots, etc. My friend and I are novices to the property improvement game.

[​IMG]

Here is a wider view of the property

[​IMG]

2. jd4055

jd4055 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From the looks of it, it doesn't look like there is a mass amount of food in ag fields around there. I think a plot or two would do you great. I couldn't tell you where because I have never walked the property. Things to keep in mind is entrance and exit routes, winds and of course travel routes. The entrance and exits are often over looked! It's to easy to just go put a plot near their bedding and be line it through the woods to it.

3. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    guessing the prevailing wind is from the west... looks like some high ground in the mid of the swamp... I'll just about bet they are bedding down in that... I'd put a small feed plot just east and a little south of that high ground across the swamp from it...maybe 50 yards or so back in the trees so they feel safe coming it... then set up so you can approach a stand between the plot and the swamp from down wind... likely from the north or north east

4. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. wings435

wings435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input. Books are ordered and can't get here soon enough for me. From what I have been researching, I would venture a guess that I am a couple months late for hinge cutting, yes? Between what is cleared for the plots and dead fall, I should be able to build some barriers to control access points. Thinking to plant 3 half acre fall forage plots, probably NE, SE and SW, on the property.

6. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some trees can be cut now.