When is the time to just "bow out"?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Apr 5, 2015.

1. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've long been a believer that this was the reason for the drawnout recession. They beat that dead horse continually and this kept people on edge and not willing to spend money.

Then on slow news days, they create their own news by exploring the "what ifs"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    None of us are getting out of this alive.

I like being able to get away but then I love having everything I could ever want just miles from my house.

I look at my 90 year old father and wonder if he could ever imagine living in the world today after going up in the great depression.

I also can't think of another country I want to live besides the great USA.

As mentioned, 24/7 Big News really twists our minds. Shut the crap off. IMO

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's not so much the news for me, maybe politics, but that's because I have a job and pay income tax - ergo politics are involved. I find myself being less and less interested in politics and much more concerned with what I can control. If I had enough land and could have a private homestead and I'd be working my land for a living rather than working a job to make money to live I'd be so much happier. Of course I'd have something small like a part time home job or odd jobs to provide supplemental income but if I had the privacy from city, traffic, and people I'd make out just fine. Unless we find something within the next 5 years before my kids get too much into school, I think my wife and I are in it for the long haul until they are out of the house before we can try this dream.

4. Bawanajim

Bawanajim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just make the move for your kids sake, they deserve to have dogs, and a pond to fish in, time flys and the concrete of a city is no way to raise something as precious as a young child.

Just do it!

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could make a good argument that raising kids in the middle of nowhere is no way to raise them :lol:

6. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gain some perspective go take a ride in a plane,we are not that close togather just decompress and relax and by all mean turn the tv off once in a while. Life is what you make of it:moose:

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I live right in the middle of the county. The eastern side where I work is full of cars and people. As you move west it becomes a lot more forgiving. We lived out in the rural part of the county and that is the happiest Ive been. However, cars flew by the house and there werent any kids for my kids to play with on a daily basis. We moved into a pretty good neighborhood, but I just don't feel like it is home. Give me about a 2 acre home site, flanked by 15-20 acres of woods and I would be in heaven. It is going to happen.

8. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    But then, you're one of those people who can make a good argument for the biggest lost cause in the world and come off sounding like you just might be right. :)

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To put it bluntly, how you raise kids or your argument of how/where someone should raise them means nothing to me :lol: . Living in the middle of no where doesn't mean they wouldn't attend school or participate in social things such as sports. It doesn't mean they will be a recluse hermit. If they want to grow up to live and work in the city they will be able to do that, but if they don't then they will know how to be self sufficient. I'd like to hear a solid "argument" as to why it's no way to raise them.

10. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It would be centered around social activities.

I was raised very rural. And while I loved some of it, it did suck to always have to get my mom to drive me to my friends house, as they all lived >10 miles away.

I like the fact that most of my daughter's friends will be within a walkable distance to our house.

11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was raised in a similar scenario but I don't recall playing with friends being an issue. I think my village had maybe 1,000 people in it when I was growing up and although I didn't typically do much with friends during the week, we had pool parties and played sports on the weekends all the time. I would actually prefer to drive my kids to friends houses or let them come over to our house over having neighbors or traffic within sight. How rural we end up I can't say but I just can't do the suburbs thing anymore.

12. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd kill myself if I lived in the suburbs, so I feel you

13. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up on a rural farm. As a kid it did suck at times being so far away from most of my friends (most of them lived in town).

I live in an urban area now with a metro population around 200k...not too big...not too small.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The struggle is real.

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The struggle is real. It wasn't always like that here but for the sake of job and family I "couldn't get out". That's the excuse I've been telling myself.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    #1 reason I'm glad I live out in the country!!!! I have more control over what my daughter is doing and who she is with.

I grew up outside of town as well. My parents took me to my friends, and had them over as well. I participated in every activity at school I choose to and they found a way to get me there. I had freedom to roam and explore around in the woods and when I wanted to go to my friends in town, they would take me. Not really a big deal.

17. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I'll find out :tu:

18. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i got just the spot for you.

19. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Funny. I have the opportunity to do what many of you want to do, and we're considering abandoning it due to many of the factors that make it appealing to so many (long driveway, isolation, cost to build, cost to purchase, etc.). I like a mixture of rural with convenience.

I also agree with the comments regarding the media portrayal of the world events making things seem so much worse today than they once were. However, I still keep up on the current events and political issues as I think it's necessary as a citizen. Would love to bury my head in the sand sometimes, though:D

20. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I spent my whole young life in the woods and hunting, and now that I have kids, I want to move out of the city more than anything. When I didn't have kids, I could go out to the woods anytime, but now the distance seems farther than ever, and I'm wondering why I ever bought this dang house.