Ramcat Broadheads!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tpmonaha, Apr 4, 2015.

1. tpmonaha

tpmonaha Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BigPhil on here has been talking to me about these broadheads for over a year now. After talking with some folks that I am close with and are veteran hunters, they have had good things to say about the Ramcat broadhead. I picked up a pack at the Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh this year!

Has anyone on here had any good experiences with them? I talked to the owner for quite some time, I liked his attitude and what he did with the head itself. Redesigned it a couple times before he got it to what it is now. Let me know what you guys think!
    Thanks,

Pat

2. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you follow BH.com on Facebook you may have seen this pic, my little brothers nice buck from this last season. He shoots a 45lb Hoyt Rampage XT with Ramcat broadheads. Made a great 30yd shot on this guy and he fell within sight. I'd say they work pretty dang well!
    [​IMG]

3. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never used them but have heard nothing but great things about this head.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used them for part of a season, good and bad with these.

The good, they tune and group very well especially at higher speeds. They also do a ton of damage because of their wide profile.
    The bad, they are pain in the *** to use for several reasons. First because of the design of the blades, they are terrible to practice shooting. They become loose and impossible to re tighten completely. The set screws strip fairly easy and you can't put enough tension on them to hold the blades from pivoting. They destroy targets because the blades fold back when your pulling them out. They also do not fit in many quivers. If your spot a stalking you have to be careful you don't tap a blade and push it to the forward position. If that isn't enough. The blade tips also bend with use, like one or two shots, you can prevent tips but clipping the very end of the blades off.

All in all they are more trouble then they are worth. QAD exodus are a similar design without all the negatives and with better blade retention.

I wouldn't use them again.

5. aRroW_adDicted

aRroW_adDicted Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my first buck with a bow this year using a Ramcat broad head. I shoot a Hoyt Faktor 30 at 65#. Granted I shot the deer at 5 yards, the hole the Ramcat made on entry was very impressive. He ran 50 yards before expiring and leaving an enormous amount of blood on the ground. The blood trail left was very impressive as well. There are a couple of issues that Trial touched on that keep it from being the perfect, but the overall effectiveness of the broad head itself is well worth it.

6. jd4055

jd4055 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Idk if I've ever heard anything bad about them.... I'd suggest them!

7. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some ramcats last year, and I am very impressed with them so far, however there are a few drawbacks

the blade tips bend easy, couple that with a tight quiver and the blades get ruined quickly as they are in constant contact with the quiver wall and other broadheads. So if you buy ramcats you might need a new quiver as well.
    You need to tighten the screws that hold the blades into the head after every couple of shots, but the screws strip pretty easy, I suppose you could always use loctite on them but then that ruins the purpose of allowing the blades to move around.

But with that said they fly amazing, penetration is great and you don't have to worry about any mechanical failure (as long as you keep the screws that hold the blades tight) or bouncing off a shoulder bone with some of the other mechanicals out there.

As long as you don't mind buying a new quiver or you have one that is quite spacious then I think you will be impressed

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  8. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had same issues. Was excited to use these heads but noticed they were difficult to work with when practicing. The blades don't stay in place and become mis-aligned pretty easily. Although the heads look awesome, I didn't want to deal with potential issues in the field.