that last thing a hunter wants to hear.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by selfbros, Mar 24, 2015.

1. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I received a call from a buddy of mine, also the owner of the land I hunt. He said those dreadful words a hunter never wants to hear "We've decided to sell the property". He and some relatives (mom and aunt) inherited the property from his late Grandpa. it's splitt 3 way's giving all three 20 acres each. his portion is isolated to the rear of the property, meaning if he keeps it he could rest being landlocked. I completely understand, but man does that hurt a little. I was first to know and was offered 1st dibs at a good price, but the fact is it's bottomland and is under water a lot. in fact it's unreachable when the creek is out. So that along with the fact that i'm as broke as they come, means I'm now up Shyt creek without my paddle. I'm beginning my search for other land, but as most people who live in the central/southern IL know, that's about as hard to come by as discovering gold. I have some places to go, but I really don't have the spots that hold decent to nice 3+ year old bucks like this ground. all other locations are so over hunted that the deer you do see are running like crazy and/ or skittish most of the time.

Rant over, now back to work. Hope everyone is having a good spring thus far.

later:wave:

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a bummer man. Good luck finding some new property. At least you found out now and not a week before the season or anything.

3. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My condolences bud.....been there done that and it bites!!!! I wish you mad luck in finding a new Spot!!

4. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ouch, sorry to hear that brother. Best of luck finding some new spots. And as for spring, here on Long Island, we are 20-30 degrees below the norm!! Its never coming.......

5. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thankfully you did find out before you had no time to scout a new place. But, it is a bummer regardless. With it being under water a lot, I wonder how quickly it will sell.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man that sucks! Good luck in your search for new land.

7. MMcRobie

MMcRobie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's never good to lose your land but like others said at least you still have time to pick up the pieces now before the season starts. I'm in a somewhat similar situation and I'm considering doing some serious public land hunting this year. Not easy by any stretch, especially in PA, but I enjoy bowhunting for the challenge so why not make it a little bit more interesting? Good luck this year and hope you come by some new property to hunt.

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sucks you lost your spot. Plenty of time find another spot though, keep your head up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain. I've lost my best spot and 160 acres due to farmers selling to outfitters here in IL. There's 115 acres behind my house for sale, I'd love to buy it. It's all brush, briars, and bedding with a creek running through, should be cheap ground as its way too rough to till, but it's going for $5,700/acre because it's a good hunting farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sure sucks... yes - however you may find a new spot that is hiding a monster. Best of luck :bow:

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I completely understand that and am sorry to hear it. Any chance you can purchase it? Also on the land lock piece legally they can not isolate the property. Someone has to provide an easement to access it if subdivided.

Either way hopefully you can find another place before season.

12. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Copperhead, that's where I was going. If the land was legally split with deeds within the Will he has to have a legal right-of-way to his piece. Atleast in Vermont that's the way it would work. Obviously it doesn't help you with the remaining 40 acres that you stand the chance of losing. Any chance you could help out with paying the taxes or something to get them to keep it? Remind them that the price of land will only go up, it's one thing they're not making any more of these days!

13. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stay positive in your search! Where there is a will there is a way. You might find a better spot to hunt and find this to be a blessing. That being said, I feel your pain. Good luck.

14. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it hasn't already sold, find a group of like minded hunters and make an offer.

15. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    get your wife a second job and buy it:woot: