Kisser button or not?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Longstriker, Mar 22, 2015.

1. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd rather be without my peep sight than without my kisser....especially in low light

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I personally prefer having a kisser button.

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never ever used one. Dont think ide change now, im so used to how i shoot, just my opinion!!

4. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't used 1 in years. My bow string sits on the tip of my nose and my thumb joint goes in right behind my jaw bone.. that tells me I am set up in my normal form.

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With my current bow, the string sits on the side of my nose, my thumb is on my ear lobe and the arrow vane is touching the corner of my mouth. I see no need to try a kisser again. The next bow may be different though.

6. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have one on mine, never have. I shot a friends bow that had one on it to try it out, completely disregarded and forgot about it and shot it just as I would have mine..almost tore my cheek off haha

7. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never used one before, I've been thinking about trying one

8. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use one and have on all my bows. just habit I guess but I like it.

9. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ball of serving

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your vanes touch your face where a kisser does your draw length is too long and/or your anchor is too high. String on side of nose is also an indicator of too long draw length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They certainly can't hurt you, but are not needed IMO.

Years ago, I ditched the kisser button because back then, I was using a facemask. I had a hard time feeling the kisser through the mask. So, I devised my own way of dealing with it. My nose always hung out of the mask, the tip of your nose is very sensitive. So, I just take serving thread and tie up a ball of thread on the string where my nose contacts it. Now, when I draw, I can definitely feel this on the tip of my nose.

I have since ditched face masks, but still use this method and have no reason to switch. It works great for me.

Its also important to establish a good hand/face anchor point as well. Corner of jaw bone, ear lobe, whatever feels best to you. Combined with lining up a peep and nose to string, it creates a solid anchor and reference point. In my opinion, you should strive for three points of reference.

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed but I have owned bows where touching my nose to the string was not possible without moving my head, my Assassin was one. It's why I use a kisser because it makes my three points of reference pretty much the same between bows and I do not have to rely on the string touching.

13. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always anchored on the side of my nose. It puts the peep in line with my eye. Never thought about it being wrong. I'll have to investigate that.

14. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Normally it will touch your nose. Unless you have a long draw length or short AtA bow making the angle too severe in which case it will be well in front do the nose. In order to not hijack this thread, if you want some answers post a thread with pictures and id be glad to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot bows with and without them, but I prefer to shoot with them. Like stated above, I prefer three reference points for my anchors. My kisser is in my lip where it should be, string at the tip of my nose and my second knuckle snug up to my ear lobe. Consistency is everything and I feel with 3 points of reference you are assuring you shoot the same way every time.

[​IMG]

16. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't wanna shoot without one... I've always had one ever since my first bow

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always have, always will. Kisser to the corner of mouth, nose to string, and pin through peep. Works for me.

18. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good point. I too had a bow a long time ago with a short ATA that I was unable to. I promptly sold it. :lol: I have found that I do not feel right at all without that reference.

One thing I have always wondered is what anchors are most effective at assisting in treestand shot form. Hear me out. Lets say you draw and anchor on a deer at 15 yards under you. Now, its widely known that many folks have a tendency to drop their bow arm instead of properly bending at the waist. I'm thinking that the higher up, away from the arrow a reference point is, the better. For example, a kisser button that you place your nose on, rather than the corner of your mouth, will have more of an effect. If you drop your bow arm, you're going to pull that kisser away from your nose. You can probably get away with doing it with a kisser closer to the arrow because the pivot point is your string loop.

Probably thinking too much, but thats what happens during the off season for me. :)