Hunting with apples

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Bartiks, Nov 2, 2014.

1. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is a tough one. The question you have got to ask yourself is are you prepared to either hire a lawyer or suffer the consequences (ie. get a ticket) if the CO doesn't see it your way? A lawyer could argue that since the apples were suspended at a height that the deer can not reach, then you are not violating the law as it is written. On the other hand, if they could prove that even one drop of juice fell from the bucket and hit the ground where a deer could reach it, then you violated the law. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you choose to hunt in the gray area, you are not part of the hunting brethren in my mind.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What if I drive 56 miles and hour on the way to my hunting spot, and my arrow is still nocked 1 minute after shooting time is up. Sure those are clear technical violations but I would not be so quick to judge those that know the law and push it right up to the limit.

4. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why waste your time? If you're gonna bend the rules, why not start road hunting with a high powered rifle? We hunt with a bow because it is hard.

Finding deer is hard. Tracking deer is hard. Outsmarting deer is hard. Bowhunting deer is hard. Getting deer to come to food is easy.

5. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :bash: So who here by a show of hands doesn't set their stands up on Acorn producing oak ridges, on trails between Agri fields and bedding areas, set up Stands on the edges of left by corn, soybeans, wheat, milo, I do not approve of breaking laws in any way shape or form so I don't condone the use of anything un lawful. That being said Bow hunting is challenging and difficult, Rifle hunting can be to depending on the situation. Animals by nature are unpredictable and that's what keeps me getting up at OMG30 and freezing my tucas off to try and catch a glimpse of that once and a lifetime Buck, Bull, Boar, Tom, ETC.

6. mizepd

mizepd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    From what I know in Indiana if you take it into the hunting area it is baiting. If an apple tree exists in the location it is not baiting and considered agriculture. If you take corn and dump it in a corn field for deer during hunting seasons it is baiting. Had a buddy fined for that when he was Dove hunting. A food plot is considered agriculture even though its real purpose is to draw deer.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly...in Indiana it has to be naturally there. Meaning anything carried in, brought in or drove in (or any other form) would be 100% illegal.

8. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say it is considered baiting still. You are bringing in a food source with the intent to lure a game animal to your location. If you still not sure, call your local DNR and ask... but make sure you get the officer's name/# to refer to is you are caught by another who says it is baiting. Always CYA.