Tree size for hinge cutting

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by t8rsalad, Mar 18, 2015.

1. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I've finally got clearance from the boss to go up the the hunting land. Looking to do some hinge cutting. What size trees should be focused on? Given the limited amount of trees on the property, I'm thinking fist sized or smaller. Thoughts?

2. WLM

WLM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First what is the purpose for the hinging? You don't hinge trees just to hinge them. You need a plan. Are these for bedding. screen, blockade, travel ways?

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed 100%.

4. calbow

calbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to try it to make bedding areas and possible travel corridors.

5. WLM

WLM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have hinged trees over a foot in diameter. When hinging for bedding. Select the area and then hinge the largest trees first. Typically each large tree represents a bedroom. Then hinge the smaller ones to land on it creating a tent like structure by doing so. When creating travel corridors lay out your path first and then hinge cut perpendicular to the path. Hinge cutting should be from your knees to your waist as you don't want the deer veering off your path. When hinge cutting bedding the hinge should be around shoulder height so the deer can move within the bedding area. Never hinge against the lean of a tree and always make sure to have an escape route in case something goes wrong during the hinge. Hinge cutting can be very dangerous an should not be taken lightly. Use extreme caution and be aware of what is going on as you hinge. SnapShot(3).jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  6. WLM

WLM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would also point out If your property does not have a lot of trees Hinging may not be the best solution as you cant unhinge a tree and you might want to think about planting trees instead. Hybrid poplar and willow cuttings grow super fast (6-10 feet the first year) and are very cheap and easy to plant.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice has been uttered and I'll just add my .02 (which will be some repeat).

On our ground and client's ground we've hinged everything from huge mature trees (talking chest wide) down to saplings not much bigger than my thumb's width. I've got numerous videos on hinging high, middle and low like WLM shared each scenario has a purpose behind it. Food, bedding, sight blocking, travel steering and living wall are all things that hinging can do and provide.

The key is planning ahead and hinging in a way that will allow you to mold the spot into what you want. It makes zero sense to hing the smallest trees first, or in a pattern that won't lay out the way you desire them too. Think ahead before you begin cut...and always have an escape trail for yourself once the trees begin falling should they barber chair (talking the larger trees).

I tool we love to use at times, especially on your harder/denser trees that hinge tougher are pull down tools. Some companies make them or a simply rake can even help to push or pull (only pull in special unique situations) the tree towards where you want it to fall.

Good luck, a chainsaw is the best tool for a habitat minded hunter....best tool you will ever buy, shoot we hinge a ton with hand saws too.

8. WLM

WLM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hand saw's..You are more ambitious than I...lol

9. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I cut two full sized aspens with an axe last weekend, i would have done more but it just took too long

10. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, lack of information on my part. Planning in making more screening cover, provide browse, and block off a few trails to reroute the deer close to the stands for bow hunting. The property I hunt is more for gun hunting than bow at this point. Trying to make a few adjustments to even that out.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It isn't ambition...it's simply the desire to get it done at the lowest cost. This almost always the smaller stuff like forearm sized saplings.

12. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very good advice from wlm & tynimiller.....I typically hinge cut about face height.....but wlm may be taller than me :( Having a plan and goals is definitely the most important part....I'm working on a client parcel now hinging & clearing 5 acres of Bush honeysuckle to create screening& travel corridors

13. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice on this thread.

14. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, got to go out today. Mother nature did my work in a couple of spots and a few dead trees fell without having to do anything. I think there are a few trails I'd still like to block off with hinge cuts to drive the deer where I want them, but that'll be another day. Only had a few hours today and spent most of it shed hunting and marking trails.