Early Season Clothes

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by C0wb0yChris, Mar 8, 2015.

1. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's a little early to be getting ready for hunting season but tomorrow will be my birthday (my wife says i'm old) and I have already received 2 Bass Pro gift cards. I don't know how yall are but normally when I walk into Bass Pro, I know what I would buy and why. BUT now that I have gift cards, I have no idea what I would want to buy with them.

So I started thinking about hunting season. I really need a pair of winter gloves and a pair of early season pants. So considering i'm in NC and the majority of our season are fairly warm, I decided to go with the pants.

I've looked on BP's website, and have a few RedHead pants in mind, and they're on sale. But I wanted to hear from yall and see what any of you might have. All of my other hunting clothing is Under Armor and I love how they fit and perform, but I don't need UA pants, especially if there are quality early season pants to be had for less than $50s.

I will also add, i want them to be quiet and not have a liner in them. I have some ScentBlocker pants that are supposed to be early season and scent controlling, but they have some type of polyester lining on the inside that makes me sweat like a fat kid running a marathon.

Thanks for the help!

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    most my early hunting is done in the cheap basspro cami cargo pants that usually run 15 bucks or so on sale. Between sweating from the heat and bug juice or thermacell for bugs, I don't think scent lock clothing would do much good.

3. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the Scent Lok Savanah pants and the long sleeve t-shirt type shirt. The scent control works for me in plus it is the only light weight, quick drying fabric that I can find that does not get that outside smell. My poly golf shirts do this as well as the standard UA and other poly t-shirts. If I can smell it, I figure deer can smell it for a ways. Right now you can get it on sale pretty cheap.

4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have some UA pants I use just about all season except for late november early december. The waste band stretches enough that I can layer pretty easily. They're scent control but I'm sure redhead has some comparable pants at a better price

5. WLM

WLM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use S.B. warm season clothes no liner in mine..Typically if it is above 70 degrees I don't hunt evenings.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use BP's 3D Evolution Leafy Camo. (Jacket, pants and mask.) I use Enduraskin Base Layers for scent control. (Long Sleeve Top, Bottoms and Balaclava(Mask). I treat it all with permethrin. I cool down really quickly when it is hot. You know how hot and humid it gets here in Raleigh. I hunt deer a lot here in the Summer months and this setup has worked really well for me.The leafy camo breaks up my silhouette really well. Add in the Thermacell for the skeeters and you are set! :tu:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Enduraskin here also, under an ASAT 3D Suit. I know BP doesn't sell ASAT, but they have some leaf-cut suits there that would work. Lightweight socks, Permethrin, and a Thermacell if you don't already have one would be good purchases for early season as well.

Have fun!

V

8. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking this up right now.

9. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    I saw your get-up last year sometime. I have to say, I really like the idea. Is it it a mesh fabric?

10. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    This Enduraskin Base Layer that yall keep talking about. Do you have the "All-season" or is there an "Early-Season"? Do yall get the relaxed fit type or the skin-tight type? I have the UA infrared coldgear skin-tight, but this stuff burns me up!

I guess I can really see how having 2 layers (enduraskin + longsleeve and pants) will make me any cooler?

11. Ventilator

Dislikes Received:
    UA would be the HeatGear, no lining at all like the ColdGear, just basic lycra. Enduraskin is similar, though I believe that they had a "lined"version similar to ColdGear at one time.

I prefer the compression fit myself. It causes the sweat on you to instantly evaporate, cooling you down. I have been out on opening day at 85F+ and actually felt a chill when a breeze came by. The ASAT suit is a mesh, similar to what Sam has I'll bet. I wear this set up until it starts to chill the next month, then I add BDU pants, then a sweatshirt, then I bump up to mid season gear.

Hope this helps.

V

12. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    The one that fits doesn't fit tight. I get the extra large and it fits really well. Even when it is wet it slides of very easy. I wear the long sleeve fitted shirt and long fitted pants and they keep me REALLY cool in the Summer. Once treated, your arms and legs are covered and scent free. I wear it as a base layer all year long for added scent control. I have an older set I still use as a base layers when I go in the woods anytime during Spring and Summer. I treat it with permethrin and I have yet to have a tick on my body.

13. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is a mesh fabric. Keeps you really cool. The leaves on the suit do not interfere with you shooting the bow and the suit is very quiet. If you ever get one, get the jacket, pants and mask. Also get the Enduraskin long sleeve top, long pants and mask. The Enduraskin mask will keep you from sweating one drop once you have it on. Enduraskin dries really fast and is really comfortable to wear. I am 220 lbs and I wear the XL and it is very comfortable.

14. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. Thanks all yall for your input, I found at BP the enduraskin is on sale for certain types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    One more thing, buy the CoolMax socks they sell. I have been using them for years .My feet never sweat in my rubber boots when I wear them. I wear them as a base sock every time I hunt. Even in cold weather they are the first socks I put on.

16. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    AWESOME! You have no idea how much my feet sweat in my rubber boots. My feet froze in 40 degree weather this year because of them sweating. I'll be picking up these up

17. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put DDW powder in my rubber boots and wear a pair of moisture wicking socks for walk in. I then take them off when I get to stand, put those socks in ziplock bag, then put on a dry pair of liner socks plus good wool socks on top. This has helped because my feet sweat a lot.

18. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    You do this in the winter? I would freeze just taking my socks off and Id probably fall out of my stands hsha. I'll look that powder up! Thanks!

19. Ventilator

Dislikes Received:
    I've done the same, it's really not that bad. You're hot from the walk in anyway, and it's a pretty quick change.

I now though, wear lighter boots and socks and use HotMocs or Arctic Shield Boot Insulators with a HotHands down in the toe of each. Works pretty good for me.

V

20. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One benefit of a climber. I set the base on the tree and you use it as a seat. So I can take my boots off and change socks without standing in snow, cold, mud, etc. Or without being 20' in the air, because I know my luck I would drop one of my boots from the stand :) . Even with powder, antiperspirant, etc., my feet still sweat walking in and changing socks has helped me tremendously in the cold.