Right to work

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Feb 23, 2015.

1. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not one bit unless you choose not to pay your dues after your contract expires. Then it only effects your wallet and you'll have more cash in it.

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unions = politics. Your union wastes an incredible amount of your dues money on propaganda and lobbying, telling people how to vote. They all do. It is shocking to me that you are a union member and don't vote in elections. I hope there are a lot more union members just like you.

3. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unions in the Building Trades and others are pro outdoor sport,gun and hunting Google USA union sportsmen alliance that's why you see Trumpka on the sporting channels.RTW is an excellent example why unions are in politics I agree it gives the employee a choice however as I stated they get a free ride and that part of the legislation was no accident RTW is designed to financially break the union. RTW as it stands is wrong. If a employee drops out the union should not have to represent them.The union has to represent all employee then all should pay.

4. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some of what you state is true however many unions have no full time/paid officers and the majority of the dues goes back to the members in contract and greviance negotiations If your company pay is better for the non union I think that is great. Good employers are not on every street corner. Most see labor as a cost to profit so lower wage is a higher profit. I am in construction and I have not seen your good employer story to be true however I am sure folks will find a few exceptions. In construction when I talk to a open shop worker I just ask how many workers have retired from the company with a pension. If anything they might have a 401. We will see problems that RTW will bring to the table when the middle class dose not have spendable cash in most cases it right to work for less. BTW I am a union employee however I am not blind to the fact that some union activity has and is wrong. I am on this sight for bow hunting so best to all regarding this thread :woot:

5. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ya its funny are governor we have now thats doing all this.they pushed real hard for this guy.now hes the devil to them

6. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny just because in every other scenario the democrat's are all about the free ride until it comes back to bite them here. The Sportsmans Alliance is a money generating machine, that has large payrolls and donations to political parties. Do they do some good? Yes but if they support anybody in the democratic party it's just throwing money away. You can't be one or the other here sad but true

If your happy with your job and your union then I wish you the best and good luck hunting.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  7. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trust me, I am not attempting to bash union workers vs. non union workers. There are great people in both types of organizations and there are awful people in both. I can and will concede that unions helped create opportunities for workers when workers had a lot of concerns, whether it was in safety, pay or benefits, so from an historical perspective there have been positives that have came from the early century labor movement. In more recent history, 40 years or so, labor unions became so powerful that power became abused in a lot of ways such as excessive political activity, protection of bad employees, work slowdowns, etc. etc. Employers have had to adapt and try to develop strategies to remain competitive within their markets, both domestically and globally and from a financial perspective operating without the interference from a union became a necessity to remaining competitive and staying in business. Employers, at least in the industry that I am familiar with, with union free organizations had good pay and benefits, stressed and emphasized safety, involved and empowered the employees to become part of the business. I think most employers that adapt to this new management style where everyone realizes that we all are a critical part of our collective success find that a team approach will always beat an adversarial work environment and will ultimately be more profitable and successful. Honestly, none of us are on an island. We all work for the same reason, whether you are salary or hourly, union or union free, and that is to support our families, try to get ahead and better ourselves and our way of life.

If you are a union worker and are satisfied in that situation then I am happy for you but my experience and opinion is that unions recently have created too much of an adversarial work environment that is unproductive and causes unnecessary cost increases that can lead to being uncompetitive in the market place and as a result job loss. Your situation may be different and I respect that.

8. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It does not matter if your state is right to work or not, we simple do not have an educated workforce anymore to fill the jobs.
    Majority of the iPhone is made in Germany and Japan, anyone know why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because they aren't made by lazy Union workers? :D

10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Actually they are made by union workers in Germany, that entire country is union, lol
    It's were the smart workforce is these days;). Not just college, but the trades

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mike Rowe has been talking about this for years. College is a waste for a lot of people and it doesn't necessarily lead to higher paying jobs. I went to college and have a good job that pays pretty well, but I could be making more in the trades. I have a friend who got on as a crane operator out of high school. He worked for a company for several years, learning the trade and then ventured out on his own. He now owns 5 cranes and runs a pretty successful business. No college education.

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree to disagree. The future of our country (and others as well) doesn't lie in the education level of factory workers.

Not to sound condescending but that's the truth. I'm a huge proponent of not forcing 4 year degrees on everyone as well and trade schools being a great option. But the factories where iPhones are made doesn't depend on how smart the assembly line workers are there... It's because they make things there cheaper than they can here for a multitude of reasons (cheaper labor being one of the many).

13. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Who said just factory workers and assembled? Majority of the parts of the iPhone are made in Germany and Japan and its not cheap labor. Yes assembled in China with cheap labor, big deal. The money is in making the chips.

14. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    you are 100% correct in fact over half of the kids in college today have no business being there and most will not graduate.. The trades are a great option I was a plumber for 15 years before starting my PC company and getting into real estate.. All of the unskilled illegals pouring across the border now are going to be vying for jobs that will not exist in 20 years and will do nothing but tax our already struggling economy..

15. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why are you disagreeing? Education does not have to = college. Skill trades, electrician, plumber and skill one can learn and market themselves.

16. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You do realize that manufacturers employ Engineers? The shortage of Engineers and other skilled employees in America is a major roadblock to achieving a revival of the manufacturing sector. Many companies cannot find qualified people to fill what are good, high paying positions.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  17. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree that a college education is not necessarily the right option. The cost associated with college these days is unbelievable compared to when I attended. The cost/benefit relationship is way out of whack. By the time someone pays off their student loans and amortizes that cost over the life of their working career as opposed to trade school cost and what the difference in pay between the jobs. The math most of the time does not work out in favor of college. Big shortages today in skilled labor jobs such as machinists, etc. Please don't get me started on the cost of college today as it just ticks me off.

18. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say it boils down to what you want to do for a living? Someone looking for a professional carreer is likely needing to get a college degree in most cases (but not always). If a person is interested in skilled labor....great...get trained for that. I'm not interested in doing skilled labor so I went to college.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  19. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, we have a serious need for training and education.

That's why both my kids are involved in First Robotics Challenge, it's a fantastic program.

20. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "Among the highest priorities of the right-wing American Legislative Exchange Council, one of the Koch brothers’ projects, is the passage of so-called “right-to-work” laws in the states – such as just passed by the Republican-controlled Wisconsin Senate. These should be called “right-to-work-for-less” laws because they destroy unions (workers get the benefits of union representation without having to pay union dues, causing unions to collapse). And without unions, workers don’t have the bargaining power to get higher wages. That’s why median wages in right-to-work (for less) states are lower than in other states. And lower wages mean higher profits. Which is why the Koch brothers, ALEC, and their corporate Republican allies are pushing right-to-work (for less) laws in 13 other states, on top of the 24 that already have them."

my thoughts exactly on right to work.