Finally,the wifes 2013-14 Muzzle Loader Season Mount on the Wall

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by deerhunter2381, Feb 23, 2015.

1. deerhunter2381

deerhunter2381 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    She wanted to go for a doe...

So around 3:30 pm November 24, 2013 we walk out to the pasture and climb into the blind. Few hours go by of nothing at all. It's just about the perfect time of evening when they start to move out into the fields.

I have to back up... Summer of 2012 the drought wiped out probably close to 80% of the heard in the county/area that we hunt, which is the wife's parents property. In previous years, in the evenings it was nothing to see 20 deer in our top pasture. The 2013 season, we were lucky to see 3-4. Also, this was her 2nd or third time out... ever... And as for me, I just started hunting in 2009, I had seen a few nice bucks but never was presented with a good shot on one. My father in-law and myself are the only ones that hunt their 200 acres so pressure is low.

So back to the blind. It was just reaching that time in the evening when, what little deer were around, would come out into the pasture. I had just said, "If anything is going to show it is going to be here in the next few minutes." About 30 seconds go by and she says, whats that... Here he came across the pasture, taking his time, stopping every 20 yards and looking back behind him. He was heading towards us, so I was having her wait for the closest shot possible because he was quartered heavily towards us. At about 60 yards from us, he stops again, looks back over his shoulder for a few seconds, then turns and starts back the way that he came. Know quartering away, "I told her that as soon as i get him to stop let him have it." So I did my best white boy bleat, and got him to stop and look back at us... BOOM! She let the Thompson Encore sing. An 11 pointer, would have been a 12 but one of the points on one of his split brow tines was broken off.

So, we walk back to the house to get the tractor, no dragging required, and get her dad. He tells us how he had loaded up some stuff in the truck and taken it down to the old barn... the old barn sets in a wooded bottom below the pastor. We have found that deer like to lay on a little shelf, just on top of the bottom over looking the old barn. The father in-law went down there, the Buck got a little uneasy and decided to move...thus why he kept looking back over his shoulder, and when he heard the truck heading back up to the house, he turned and headed back to his safe spot... Bad for him... Good for us.

Attached Files:

2. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Beautiful deer and great story! Congratulations to her.

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck!

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats beautiful deer.

5. kyle6464

kyle6464 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Deer!