New to bow hunting set up

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BMurr, Feb 26, 2015.

1. BMurr

BMurr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Figure this is the best place to talk about the set up I have and what I need to do to improve it.
    Have a Mathew's Legacy that was handed down to me from my dad, see pics. The specs on the bow are not correct, the draw length was changed to 30.5" luckily dad and I are about the same height and similar wing span.

I took the bow into a local shop here the other day and it is getting restrung with Piranha's. Also changing the rest to a drop away. Check out some of the pics and give me some recommendations if you notice any other desirable upgrades. I am considering changing out the sight as well, they look good in the pictures but the fibers aren't usually picking up that much light. I have no idea about stabilizers or what to look for in them. Thinking about scratching the release for a different one as well.

I've shot it in the back yard a bit but have never taken it serious or considered hunting with it until now. I've never shot it with broad-heads either. I realize I have a long way to go before I get to the point of being able to ethically hunt with a bow but I'm willing to put in the time and it's a long way to go before deer season.

FWIW majority of my hunting will be spot and stalk. Killed a deer with a rifle locally last season within 100 yards and I think that is what inspired me to want to stalk closer.

Attached Files:

2. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go with a fixed blade broadhead. And I'd replace that sight, you should look into a single pin, although for spot and stalk I'm a big fan of my 4 pin, just because I don't have to adjust it, but that sight looks like it'd be a PITA to adjust enough to be accurate. A lot of the new 4-5 pin sights and single pins allow for a much finer adjustment range, meaning you can get way more accurate. I'd also put a string stop on there, that will cut down on noise and might help with vibration. The stabilizer you have doesn't appear to do much for vibration, it looks just like a weight, so you might see if you can get one with some vibration reduction and an adjustable weight system, so you can decide on what weight you prefer.

3. v3505

v3505 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It looks to me your dad didn't shoot much, or he took really good care of the bow. So some things I noticed... All top of the line equipment for the times. I'm not really a Mathews guy, but the bow looks about 10 yrs old. The sight is micro-adjust, which really didn't didn't catch on till about 5-8 years ago. The stabilizer is made by limbsaver, so it must have vibration dampening properties.

Overall, not bad. Like you said, I'd upgrade to a nicer drop away rest, new sight and new release. It would really freshen it up. I'd also replace the rubber tube on the peep. if you have a few buck to spend, check out VaporTrail rests and extreme archery products sights. They have a little bit of everything for a fair price. Both really good quality and will last a long time.

As for shooting more, get together with someone who shoots well. Since your new to shooting, you really want to concentrate on your shooting form. Good luck and have fun with it.

4. BMurr

BMurr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah dad didn't shoot much at all and it is at least 10 years old. Shop that is doing the strings for me said they will give me about an hour on their range and go over some of the basics as far as form goes.

5. BMurr

BMurr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got the bow all set up yesterday.
    New strings and cables
    Ripcord Codered rest
    Blackgold Rush 7 pin sight
    Jim Fletcher Fletch Hook release
    Also re-fletched some arrows.

6. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: