Muzzy or Rage?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Drawdown, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Drawdown

Drawdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a PSE Momentum @ 60lb with 27.5" Carbon Force arrows @ 385grs, but don't know the speed. I like the idea of the 100gr Rage Chisseltips which I currently have for hunting turkey, but will also hunt deer this fall. How will these heads do with this rig on deer? Thinking of going to 3blade Muzzy's for the one & same broadhead. I tuned my bow to shoot big unvented broadheads so tuning is not the issue. And are the reugular 3 blade Muzzy's up to the job as compared to the MX3's?

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    muzzy hands down!!.
    the old 3 bladed ones have worked great for many years.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With the arrows you are using you would be better served to go with a fixed broad head. I would recommend that you go with an arrow with a finished weight of 425 grains or more for a mechanical.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the standard 3-blade 100grn Muzzy heads for over 10 years and killed a lot of deer with them. Some people say they are hard to tune but I never had an issue. I did switch to QAD Exodus 2 seasons ago because I wanted to try them and I have been very happy with them as well.

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using the Muzzy 100gr 3 blade from the beginning without issue, I don't see that changing.

6. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy.
    Rage is the only broadhead, mechanical or fixed, that I don't care for.

V

7. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love muzzy, they are great. Also cheap compared to rage.

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a fix blade after having Rages fail to deploy on a PSE Deer Hunter with a similar set up to yours. I went to Slick Tricks after not being able to tune Muzzy MX-3s. I do not doubt the quality of the Muzzy head but I could not get it to hit with my field points. If you have the same issue, give Slick Tricks a try. First shot, and every shot after that hits with my field points. I would not have hesitated to use the Muzzys' if I could have gotten them to tune correctly.

9. Drawdown

Drawdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's unanimous! I was already leaning towards Muzzy's so I think I'll go to em for sure now! If I have a flight problem I can't fix it'll surprise me?

10. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    muzzy has been the premier fixed blade heads for years.....for a reason. Cheap and reliable. That said, im a mechanical guy. But ill never shoot rage heads. You have to rebuild after every shot, the o-ring doesnt hold the blades secure enough in my opinion and I had them open in my quiver on more than one occasion.

I shoot killzones. Similar design yet no stupid oring. I have one head that was used for practice that went into a block over 150 times before the blades wouldnt hold shut anymore. I have nearly 30 packages of killzones, if the ever discontinue I should be set for life

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I were to suggest a mechanical head it would be NAP Spitfire! I use them with my CB. No O-ring, and I've never had one not open for me. Seriously sharp, and they leave a gaping hole. Out of 18 deer I've shot at, and hit (haven't missed) with this set up, I recovered all but one. These were not all broadside/double lung hits either.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like rages I have only used the titanium in the past and they quit making them. I switched to a 125 grain hypodermic. Like with any mechanical the harder you hit them the better.

13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    gosh, it was going good untill you 3" hole blasters showed up!:whip:

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No I suggested that he goes with a fixed head earlier in the post.:biggun:

15. rock54

rock54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have used the rage 2-blade for past 4 years with no issues and a dozen or so deer killd, wife uses the 3-blade out of her crossbow

with no issues either, both very happy with rage and its performance

my bow setup mathews drenalin 60lbs, 29in carbon express 200 cx 3d select, 100gr rage 2-blade

16. Eatdeer

Eatdeer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've used both with no problems

17. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy are okay, but there are definitely some tuning problems. If you want a really good head, look no further than the QAD exodus

18. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    I shot muzzy for years with zero tuning problems, as long as the bow is tuned perfectly all broadheads will fly like field points. The exodus are nice BHs the fly good out of a bow that isn't tuned 100% just like slick tricks, maybe cause the heads are small. Regardless of broadhead choice a bow should always be tuned as good as possible, I think it's a mistake to shoot a certain broadhead just because it shoots better out of an untuned bow than another. Even worse when guys switch to expandable for that reason. Tune the bow and shot any broadhead you want, that's the way to do it. That's just my thoughts though.

19. Drawdown

Drawdown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I must say the Slicktricks look good!

20. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Over the last couple of years they've become my favourite head, four lethal blades packed into a small compact broadhead, they are deadly, they almost leave a hole-like entry/exit channel. And they are the sharpest broadheads out of the packing that I've seen so far. I've used the grizz trick (1 1/4")on moose and they ripped thru like butter, smashing one rib on the exit side, complete pass thru. I did switch to the magnums thou myself after a little while. I like how the head is small and compact. They still give you a 1 1/8" cutting dia. If your looking for a new broadhead I highly recommend the slick trick magnums. I love them!