Protecting saplings from foraging

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by No.6Hunter, Feb 11, 2015.

1. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This year we are looking at planting a variety of trees on our property, so I am looking at a cheaper way to protect them other than going out and buying tree tubes. I was thinking about using paper rolls from my work that are about 3.5' tall. I know the weather will more then likely destroy these tubes but no sure how long that will take.

What do you guys use for protecting your saplings from browse other than the store bought tube? Or if you use the tubes where are the deals at?

2. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the black French drain tile rolls to make tree tubes. It is somewhat cheaper than actual tree tubes. I but a 100ft roll and cut them to length

3. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen where guys buy the 1000' rolls of square cement rebar/remesh and cut into sections and put around the sapling for the first few years.

4. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont think anything will get past that lol

Do you know if they are fabing these together or just zip tying? Seems like it may be some hard work..

5. cooperve

cooperve Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use the equivalent of french drain pipe. I worked at a power plant where a vacuum cleaning contractor used the corrugated pipe to vacuum soot, fly ash, lime and coal dust. I got the old used holy and duct taped pipe out of the dumpster by the truck load. Cut them in 3' to 4' length and split them. I started splitting them with a knife but graduated to a grinder with cutting wheel and it really made it quick and easy. I'm now retired so as a tree gets some size I pull it off and move it to the smaller oak starts. Works great.

6. theback4

theback4 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy of mine uses the black ripply tube that you would attach to your gutter pipe so it deposits rainwater further from your house. I think it is also used for irrigation. anyway, he cuts all the way down one side, wraps the tree and puts dirt around the base, then zip ties it shut once or twice. Deters deer, rabbits, mice, and voles from eating the bark on the mast.

7. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep.....that's French drain tile

8. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will more than likely go the French drain route, thanks all