My expiriance and observations with ground blind.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by MartinHunter, Dec 24, 2014.

1. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Started to post this in the other ground blind thread, but decided to make one of my own..:p

I have been hunting out of ground blinds for over 25 years and have never shot through the mesh. I know you can with fixed blades with no issues.. I always leave window open in the direction I expect to shoot always wear dark clothing and sit as far back in the blind as I can.. I have had deer walk within 5 yds and never even knew I was in the world..

Now lets talk about brushing in a blind....nope have never done it except for maybe a cedar branch on top and a limb or two leaning against it some times. I will back up against a big pine or cedar with some low hanging branches I don't get to carried away.. I have popped up a ground blind mid-day and 3 hours later had deer walk by and nary give it a glance.
    That is not to say brushing is not valuable I am just saying in my area I have never had any issues..

I think the shape of the blind is in my experience very important deer seem to get used to round top ground blinds much faster then a flat top, the round shape is a much more natural shape in nature I believe..

If I was going to design a ground blind I would lower the bottom of the window about 3" and lower the top of the window about 4", one of the biggest issues with folks new to ground blind hunting is shooting bottom edge of window especially if you are not a tall person.. I am 5'8" and yes I have done this twice, thankfully both times on doe's.

I currently have 4 ground blinds set up on 3 food plots all have been out since august and two have been move a few times the deer don't seem to care..

What works for me may not work for you these are just a few observations by me on my 108ac property where we try and keep the pressure and impact at a minimum only two of us hunt it , my wife and I and mostly only on the weekends.

2. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    Thanks for your time writing this up. It answered some questions I had in my mind. I plan on buying two ground blinds for next season so I can take my girls with me. Now I have an idea what to look for in a blind.

Beefie

3. MartinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am liking ground blinds more and more, in the last few weeks I have not even hunted myself. I just sit in a ground blind with my wife, it's great quality time and I really want to be with her when she kills her first gun deer.. I was not with her when she killed two with a bow a couple years ago...

4. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the write up. My experience with a blind is quite the opposite sadly. I guess in my area it just scares the deer to bad. But one thing I make sure I do when they get use to it is to leave the windows I'm going to shoot out of open all the time. That way they're use to the black color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MartinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess it depends on how pressured the deer are also..

6. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup. I love ground blinds, plus it gives me and my wife to hunt together and so she doesn't have to deal with the blistering wind or rain. It makes it quite nice.

7. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Old thread, but anyone know of a hub or pup up style ground blind with a floor?