Jim Shockey let me down!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by early in, Feb 8, 2015.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't watch many shows anymore. Most of them are simply advertising platforms for the big companies and have little to do with actual hunting knowledge, etc. I've changed my stance over the years on them however. I used to really despise most of them, but anymore, I just view them for what they are.. entertainment, hunting related entertainment. I view them as a means for our great sport to be promoted.

I do like some of the personalities on TV. The Shockeys, Heartland Bowhunter (my favorite) and a few others. Some are a little closer to what I can relate to in terms of my own hunting and experiences and thats what I tend to watch.

I don't hold any animosity toward the shows anymore. They are what they are.

2. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tend to agree.. To me the "celebrity"hunters are just paid advertisers. The shows main goal is about a product, not about hunting.

3. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like nor watch celebrity hunters. Never have liked them

4. LizzidGizzid

LizzidGizzid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My opinion only to point 2: I think it has something to do with the idea that someone has claimed the deer as their own (within their fence). That, to me, is the thing that turns me off. Just because someone has the financial resources to do something that is legal, doesnt necessarily make it ethical.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Guys sitting on the internet in their "Man Cave" (aka basement) ripping on how Jim Shockey hunts. Glad I can still stop by here for some comic relief.

Its also good to see Justin is still the sane voice of reason around here.

6. LowbanksArcher

LowbanksArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "I trust my life, and the life of my clients to my bait pile" :D

7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    every single person in your life will "let you down" at some time.

Shockey is a stand up hunter. one of the best.

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you're referring to me (OP), I wasn't "ripping" how Jim Shockey hunts, just questioning it. Like I mentioned in my OP, I just never watched him on anything other than fair chase hunts. This hunt didn't even resemble that. Others who SAW the hunt say basically what I'm saying, that deer didn't act "normally" at all. This wasn't speculation, as the voice of reason suggests. I like Jim Shockey, I'm just amazed that he'd be OK hunting under those conditions.

9. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most outfitters in texas are fenced. I was also shocked when i was watching a cabelas video of bill winke feeding deer in iowa during hunting season. Like a 50lbs bag of corn. But i was told that you can feed em. But cant hunt by or where they come from the feed. Untill its gone. Im always wonder how those guys get their record trophies every year in Iowa. I know that mn the dnr are very strict with feeding deer during hunting season. But cant complain. Regulations are different every state.