broadhead tuning not working?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by HKhunter, Jan 21, 2015.

1. HKhunter

HKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, i shoot a bowtech insanity cpx set at 60# with gold tip velocity hunter 340 arrows with 125g tips. I decided to check if my 125g g5 montec broadies have the same POI as the field points. When i shot, the montecs went about 6-7 inches lower than the field points. So i posted a thread asking what to do, people told me that i need to broadhead tune. So i went ahead and tried it today. I found that no matter how high i moved my rest(hostage full capture) up, it just moves up the POI of both the montecs and the field points(the gap between the two POI's did not get any smaller). So does this mean that i got unlucky and that g5 montecs just will not shoot properly, or is it something to do with my arrows? If so, i would love to know if anyone knows of any tough broadheads that fly like field points(either mechanical or fixed). Any input would be great, thanks guys.

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's your arrow length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Bowtech Constitution does not like Montecs. they were all over the place, it shoots helix, grim reapers, thunderheads, slicks fine. Some combo's don't work.

4. Ancuegar

Ancuegar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yes i would look at your arrow specifics. also could be the bh. have you spin checked them?

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ran into the same issue with Muzzy's. I switched to Slick Tricks and hit the same POI as my field points on the first shot and every shot after that. Some combos may not work.

6. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nap spitfire same as my field tips

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    QAD Exodus are the toughest head I have seen and usually fly true with a somewhat tuned bow. I would second acuegar and maxpetros questions about your arrows.

Have you tried different arrows? Meaning put the Montec on a different arrow and shoot it again. Need to make sure they spin true. Speed bows like the insanity need a straight arrow. Also what fletching do you have currently?

8. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My recommendation is the QAD Exodus also. Super tough, replaceable blades, and lots sharper than the Montecs, not to mention they fly beautifully. Another thing i'd recommend is throwing that Hostage rest in the garbage and getting something new. Whisker Biscuit, or if you dont mind spending more, a QAD HDX. They make one specifically for your Bowtech. Those Hostages are just cheap and inconsistent and is most likely not helping your issue

9. HKhunter

HKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    oh ok gees. never knew about that, but sometimes I do wonder if tue arrow consistently sits in the same part of the rest. I really like the full capture style rests because when I go deer stalking up in the high country, alot of the game trails you jave to crawl through because the bush is so thick. ill have a
    squiz at some others.

10. HKhunter

HKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nah ive never tried putting em on a different arrow to check. I shoot with the gold tip 2 inch vanes, sorta like blazers but not as tough.and yeah I spim checked it all and it was fine

11. HKhunter

HKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    29.5" arrows, 28" draw length

12. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes like you said, the arrow typically does move around a bit in the Hostage from my experience. especially when the brushes on the sides get worn. The ones i've seen have quite a bit of movement. There are some great drop aways out there that are full containment and that will shoot very well for you if you are interested in upgrading. It should make quite a difference especially for big country hunting where containment and durability are very important

13. Berdo

Berdo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot a bare shaft/unfletched arrow and see what happens. Takes broadhead variables out of it.

14. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to drive myself nuts trying to broadhead tune. No more of that crap for me. I couldn't care less if my broadheads are grouping together with field tips, because it just doesn't matter. What matters is that my arrows are flying true with my broadheads on. So now I just paper tune with my broadheads on, until i get bullet holes at all distances, then I set my pins and hunt. Much easier!

15. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Probably throwing a lot at you here but have you check the cam timing.?I know that they are not supposed to be out of sync on bowtech but still work checking. One of my close friends has an insanity and it shots Montecs just fine. According to Goldtip arrow charts your 340 spine is fine.

If the budget allows I would second the recommendation on replacing the hostage. I would recommend a QAD HDX or maybe Limb Driver Pro V for full containment.

You have to be getting some contact else your center shot is way off because you should be able to get a lot closer than 6 or 7 inches.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  16. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cam timing/sync would be what I looked at next.

17. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes in different tuning methods you have to go the opposite way if they is little improvement or no improvement. I've never heard of it done with broadheads but you could try it. I have no idea what to say after that if I'm not witnessing it or at least shooting the bow.

18. HKhunter

HKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    oh ok. i'll definately replace my rest then, no point shooting with a crappy rest. And yeah i have checked my cam timing, they're fine, so i'll change the rest and let you's know how it works out.

19. HKhunter

HKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    oh ok i'll definately replace the rest with something else.And yes my cams are in time, so hopefully the problem is just the rest. Thanks for all the input guys i appreciate it.