Effects of a short Brace Height?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tkarrow, Nov 20, 2014.

1. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This year, I went to a short ATA (Carbon Spyder 30) for my 30" draw and I am convinced that my accuracy is way down. I am wondering what affects a short brace height might have if I switch to a longer ATA but shorter brace height? Considering a turbo at 33 ATA but only 6 inch brace.

Thanks, Tom

2. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As I understand it (I may not be right) short brace height accentuates errors in form, especially grip. A longer axle to axle should help with holding steady on target.

3. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    In general a longer axle to axle bow will be more forgiving. Back in the day a shorter brace height had more of an affect on arrow flight as bows were slower and the arrow stayed on the string for a longer period of time. It is believed by many to be an almost moot point with this day and age of bows however because they are so fast and an inch over 330 fps has very minimal effect. I do not know the specs of the Spyder however.

In general, the longer the ATA, the longer the Brace height, the slower the speed the more forgiving the bow when it comes to form error.

4. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The BH of any given bow affects each archer different, depending on their draw length. Most short draw/women's bow have a shorter BH to help achieve speed. Most long draw bows tend to have a far more generous BH because the long draw of the bow helps generate speed.

I have two friends that are on the opposite ends of this spectrum. One shoots a Chill SDX, he has a 25" DL. the bow has a 6" BH. His effective power stroke is 19". The other shoots an MR8. 32" DL and the bow has an 8" BH. His effective power stroke is 24". So even with a longer BH, the long draw has to be more critical with his form, as the arrow is on the string longer.

SCFox

5. TeamFATBOY

TeamFATBOY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My accuracy went down when I bought a new bow with a 6" brace height and realized that I wasn't following through with the shot and dropping the bow in a hurry to see where the arrow hit and squeezing the grip and not realizing that either not knowing how the bow would react to the shot. Now I'm shooting the bow with a loose grip and following through like I normally did with my bows with a longer brace height. Now I'm shooting the new bow just as well or better than the others. Makes me think it was all in my head and my form, not the shorter brace height or the new bow.

6. HKhunter

HKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a bowtech insanity cpx which is a 6" BH. the shorter BH is known to be rougher, less accurate, but gets more speed. it seems to scare alot of people away when they see that a bow has a short BH especially because say one guy goes and buys a 6" BH bow and it jist doesnt work for him, he goes and writes really bad reviews about the bow, and soon so many bows are turned down due to a short BH. but as long as the bow is well made and good quality it should be fine, and the longer ATA will counteract the "roughness" of the short BH. you could also use some slightly heavier arrows to dampen the vibration and make everything smoother. so in conclusion (and my opinion) it'll be fine mate.

7. fordnut

fordnut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Short brace means nothing if you have decent form & u shot often

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I guess all them target bows and archers don't shoot enough and have bad form...because you will find moderate to long brace hight on 95% of there bows.

9. fordnut

fordnut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was talking about ur average joe BOWHUNTER. Not the people that shoot hundreds of arrows a day. I went from a 7in brace to a 5 3/4 brace. Got my form a little better & I shoot just as accurate as before. Plus more speed. I got a short draw also

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I disagree with you there too....your avg joe bow hunter is the one that would benefit the most from a longer brace height and more conservative design.

11. fordnut

fordnut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everybody has an opinion. I just know my experience

12. toddchambers

toddchambers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My Matthews mission had an 8 Inch brace height. My Matthews monster that I have now had a 6 Inch brace height. what little I've gotten to shoot it I've learned the BH comes in to play for someone (like me) who has trouble keeping form. I'm keeping a very tight pattern but I'm also having to work harder than I did before.

13. Ancuegar

Ancuegar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    when i switched to my insanity i had to work and improve my form. now i shoot better than ever.